Print to PDF Help Please!

Good Day. I am having a heck of a time trying to figure something out. I've searched the web and the forum with no luck. I need KM to Print a Word docx to PDF with a KM shortcut. In every other app on Mac, I can click File>Export as PDF. Just not an option with MSOffice apps. So, I need KM to bring up the Print Dialogue Box and then click on PDF at the bottom left. It seems so easy but it just wont click that PDF button. And if I could get this to work, I could just use it in all apps. I did read somewhere that it has something to do with the little down arrow beside PDF, and it being a submenu or something.

It is so easy to do this with my Windows machine but that's literally the ONLY advantage of Widows for me.

I am by no means a programmer so if anyone knows how to do this, please share screenshots with me.

I am using the latest paid version of KM, Word, and OS Ventura 13.2.1

Hey, laroox. Welcome!

I have "Save as PDF", which is under that dropdown menu in the Print Dialog box, assigned to keyboard shortcut āŒ˜P - so āŒ˜P once brings up the dialog by system default, and āŒ˜P again triggers "Save as PDF" which is pretty convenient itself, but you could do something similar and use the "Type a Keystroke" action in an KM macro to type that shortcut.

Hey. Thanks for responding so quickly. I do recall reading somewhere that the āŒ˜P and then āŒ˜P no longer works in the newer Mac OS. Your screenshot definitely looks different than mine. I can create that Shortcut but the second āŒ˜P doesn't work. Just an error beep is all that happens.

On the plus side, while I was in the Keyboard Settings playing around, I discovered something else. If I enable "Keyboard Navigation", I can keep hitting TAB until the PDF on the bottom left is highlighted. Once it is highlighted, I hit the Space Bar and it brings up the Save dialogue box. I think I can work with this in KM. I think.....I do this so many times a day. Once I find a solution, I'll port it over to the Stream Deck for real easy access saving as PDF....although the āŒ˜PāŒ˜P option would be faster than the Stream Deck.

Thanks again.

1 Like

It definitely still works. I am on Ventura and the setting looks like the below. The difference is that you have to type it as "Save as PDF..." instead of "Save as PDF"

2 Likes

You guys are amazing. Nowhere have I been able to find this on the internet......

Thanks a ton!!

2 Likes

For using keyboard shortcuts like Zabobon demonstrated, capitalization and punctuation must be identical to what's shown in the app/system menu for which the shortcut is being made. So if Apple/app developer changes it, you get a hiccup like you experienced where it worked before but no longer does as previously configured.

2 Likes

I'm on Monterey. I've need the eclipses on other versions, but you just have to type is exactly as it's shown in the UI. For me, no ...

:+1: