Am I correct that the standard "Prompt for File" action doesn't support selecting multiple files? Assuming I'm correct, @peternlewis, it would be a nice feature.
And I have a solution right now, using JXA, but I just thought it'd be nice for this to be a standard feature.
Yes, it only supports returning a single path.
I have multiple current files that I am currently working on.
In reference to your question, would you know if there is any way to create a macro which would:
- display a a checklist listing my current files
- allow me to select more than one of those files
- open the selected files
I am just asking because you mentioned that you had a solution.
thanks in advance for your time and help
@DanThomas may well have a better solution, but here is one approach.
Let us know if this works for you.
This macro uses a text list of file paths for your "current files".
If you have another, or better way, of getting this list, let us know.
MACRO: Open Multiple Selected Files from List [Example]
--- VER: 1.0 2019-12-25 ---
Requires: KM 8.2.4+ macOS 10.11 (El Capitan)+
(Macro was written & tested using KM 9.0+ on macOS 10.14.5 (Mojave))
DOWNLOAD Macro File:
Open Multiple Selected Files from List [Example].kmmacros
Note: This Macro was uploaded in a DISABLED state. You must enable before it can be triggered.
- **Open Multiple Selected Files from List **
HOW TO USE
- First, make sure you have followed instructions in the Macro Setup below.
- Trigger this macro.
- Follow instructions in Prompt
Carefully review the Release Notes and the Macro Actions
- Make sure you understand what the Macro will do.
- You are responsible for running the Macro, not me. ??
Make These Changes to this Macro
- Assign a Trigger to this macro.
- Move this macro to a Macro Group that is only Active when you need this Macro.
- ENABLE this Macro, and the Macro Group it is in.
REVIEW/CHANGE THE FOLLOWING MACRO ACTIONS:
(all shown in the magenta color)
- SET List of YOUR Current File Paths to Use in Selection
- See instructions in Comment above this Action
KM 9.0+ (may work in KM 8.2+ in some cases)
- macOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan)+
TAGS: @Files @Prompt @List
I don't have a solution available, without doing a lot of work. Which I'm not going to do.
Wow !! a superb macro !!! works perfectly. thank you so much.
I am now working on a variant to open desktop (not online) evernote notes and Scrivener docs links which:
- have to be open with a browser like Chrome which is no problem.
- I must find another way to input / display the notes and docs because the links do not contain a recognizable name.
With Files, thanks to your regex, you can extract the name.
With Scrivener I can clean up the link and extract the document name.
With Evernote notes the path does not contain any recognizable name.
Example: this is the link to the Evernote note which contains this discussion.
In the case of Scrivener and Evernote, I will have to create a 'one open document/note per macro' conflict sub palette
thanks again very very much
This is done for the next version.
Has this feature made it to release yet? I am currently running the latest 9.2 build, but only seem to be able to select a single file using the 'Prompt for File' action.
No, not until the next major version.
This can be done now.
I have restricted the file type to .txt files, but that can be changed, expanded, or removed entirely.
Choose File(s) With Choose Dialog (AppleScript Version) v1.00.kmmacros (7.0 KB)