Reopen all folders after reboot or after unmounting external drives Feature

Is this possible? I always work with multiple folders open; usually from external drives but at the end of every workday I unmount the external drives and the next morning I have to find and reopen all again.

I'm aware of Finder's menu: Go > Recent Folders but recent folders for external drives do not appear there for some reason. But even if they did, I'd still like to simply click a button and reopen all automatically.

I imagine an Apple script might do the trick? Or perhaps a KM macro?

I'm sure I'm not the only one wishing for this.

*** Note: I posted a slightly different version of this question on Reddit hoping someone can recommend and app that can do this but unfortunately didn't receive much replies—So tonight it occurred to me that maybe KM can!

TIA!

Hi, @project_guru. If you don't use multiple Mission Control Desktop Spaces then you might want to try a macro shared by @Zabobon: Zabobon's Dynamic Workspaces

Ah! I forgot to mention in my original post that I do use Spaces. Actually I usually have unique folder sets for each space. In my case each space has folders open for a different job. I guess Zabobon's Dynamic Workspaces won't work? I'll try it anyway. Thanks.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Finder windows will always be opened in Space 1.

Good because I could be wrong.

1 Like

As a user of Mission Control Desktop Spaces you might want to check out this post: Desktop Spaces • Macros to Improve Navigation and Window Management

I've actually been deep into macro programming of the Finder. If you want to jump in with both feet, I suggest you consider this: Want to Help Test a Finder-related Macro?

In most cases, when I have one or more Finder windows open in a space, if I want to add a new target path, I open a new Finder tab in the frontmost window (versus a new window in the space).

Here's a old standalone subroutine macro and two calling macros that you might want to try.

Finder—New Tab in Space (shared KM Forum 2023-08-16) Macros.kmmacros (32.4 KB)

Macro-Image

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.

System Information
  • macOS 13.4.1 (22F770820d)
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2