Request: Add Light/Dark Switch for Forum Theme

@peternlewis, could you please add the Discourse "Light/Dark" switch at the top of each page that lets the user quickly switch?

This would be very useful to switch to "Light" before doing a text or screen capture.

Mark has implemented this in the Late Night Software (SD) Forum .

Thanks.

1 Like

I don't see any such switch…?

Maybe the folks at Discourse can help, or you could ask Mark @alldritt at Late Night.

I don't see that switch at the Late Night Discourse forum. Or at any other Discourse site I am on and have set to the Dark theme. Is it a standard Discourse thing?

It is definitely there for me. Have you set "Dark Mode" in your LN user preferences?

I tried that, the switch never appeared. I have no idea where the switch comes from.

I personally don't care either way for this feature, but a google search returned this example of somebody implementing a switch. https://meta.discourse.org/t/alien-night-theme-a-free-dark-theme-for-discourse/54175. Doesn't appear to be built in to discourse.

OK, thanks for sharing that.

@peternlewis, given that this light/dark switch appears to NOT be a standard part of Discourse, you can table my request if you like.

1 Like

I don't even know why it appears to you and not others, but it might be part of a future version of Discourse perhaps, so maybe it will arrive in due course.

I see themes listed in the menu dropdown on other forums, which makes it convenient to switch between dark/light without having to jump to the preferences page and back. For example:

This would be a nice touch if the option is available here :slight_smile:

Have a look in your profile preferences - it works for me:

Right, but that is done from a separate page, as opposed to toggling directly from any page via the dropdown menu.

Sorry, Evan, I missed that in your post.

I don't see any setting for it. Probably it is done by a plugin or such.

Offhand, I don't know how to do it, but if you can find out I'll take a look at whether it is reasonable to do.

1 Like

Thanks, @peternlewis

Knowing nothing about Discourse, I thought it may just be a setting on the back end. Now that I have looked into it a bit, seems it is featured in certain Discourse themes and/or can be added as a component. Probably not worth your time, but thanks for the offer!

1 Like