Safari Share Menu

I have a simple macro that selects the Safari File>Share>Messages menu item. It has worked for a long time. Today, it's not working. Any idea what could be going on? I did the Safari security update last night, if that matters.

I sympathize. This is Apple's own code and it fails here on Safari 16:

Share From Safari Macro (v10.2)

Share From Safari.kmmacros (2.0 KB)

Keyboard Maestro Export

Apple have broken it. As @mrpasini says,

tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Safari"
		every menu item of menu of menu item "Share" of menu "File" of menu bar 1
	end tell
end tell

...should return

{{menu item "Email This Page" of menu "Share" of menu item "Share" of menu "File" of menu bar item "File" of menu bar 1 of application process "Safari" of application "System Events",...}}

...but now gets

{{}}

But you can spoof "new" Safari with

tell process "Safari"
        set frontmost to true
        click menu "File" of menu bar 1
        click menu item "Share" of menu "File" of menu bar 1
        every menu item of menu of menu item "Share" of menu "File" of menu bar 1
    end tell
end tell

...and get

{{menu item "Email This Page" of menu "Share" of menu item "Share" of menu "File" of menu bar item "File" of menu bar 1 of application process "Safari" of application "System Events",...}}

That suggests you could double your macro action -- have the first click "File"->"Share" to populate the "Share" menu, and the second can then click "File"->"Share"->"Messages".

You may even have to triple it and do "File", then "File"->"Share", then "File"->"Share"->"Messages". Suck it and see!

If all else fails, an "Execute AppleScript" action with the following AS should work:

tell process "Safari"
        set frontmost to true
        click menu "File" of menu bar 1
        click menu item "Share" of menu "File" of menu bar 1
        click menu item "Messages" of menu of menu item "Share" of menu "File" of menu bar 1
    end tell
end tell
1 Like

Oh, Apple ... Nice_S, yes this AppleScript does work. Thank you!

Hey Sherman,

See this:

macOS 12.6 breaks 'Select or Show a Menu Item'? - #3 by ccstone

It it works it should be faster than AppleScript.

-Chris