Save clipboard entries for later reuse?

I use Graphic applications, such as Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and Affinity.
I often copy graphical elements from one section of the app and then paste them into another section of app.

Is there any way I can save the keyboard state after copying. Then paste the graphical element without having to re-copy it even if I have copied hundred of other things since the original copy or if the orignal copying was done several weeks ago.

Sorry if this is a n00b question. I did search around, but couldn't find anything. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

I renamed the title of this topic, to more accurately reflect what you're asking about.

The answer is absolutely Yes, and you probably want to use Named Clipboards for this. Start with this Wiki article, and see if it helps.

I know Named Clipboards can seem a little confusing at first, so don't be afraid to ask questions. Lots of people use them all the time (but not be, unfortunately), so I'm sure you'll get plenty of help if you need it.

2 Likes

As @DanThomas suggests, Named Clipboards may be your best option.

But you can also just use the standard KM Clipboard History Switcher.

• By default, it will store up to 200 of you last Clipboards (each time you do a Copy, that creates a Clipboard)
  • You can mark one or more Clipboards as a Favorite, to easily find and paste later.
  • You can also search all clipboards

So, you will need to try and test to find out which works best for your workflow.

3 Likes

I managed to make name clipboards to achieve this. I just save each graphic as a named clipboard and then set up hot keys to paste them, using "Paste from a named clipboard".

However, is there a way to set the system clipboard to the contents of a named clipboard?

The reason I want to do this, is because InDesign has a function called Paste in Place. With this function it takes what is in the clipboard and pastes the contents along with positional data.

If I use KM's paste from a named clipboard, then Indesign ignores the positional data (even if that data is in the named clipboard).

I am not sure if this should be a separate thread.

Once an item has been set as a favorite in the Clipboard History Switcher, is there a way to retrieve specific items with a single keyboard press.

In my use case, I have 14 different graphics. I have a 1000 page document, where I will be applying 1 graphic to each page depending on the contents the page. So I would really like to assign a different keyboard key to each graphic. That way, I can just flip through the document, tap the relevant key and have the graphics pasted.

For that use case the better solution is to use KM Named Clipboards . Then you can associate a specific hotkey (or any trigger) with a specific Named Clipboard.

With named clipboards, is there a way to set the system clipboard to the contents of a named clipboard?

The reason I want to do this, is because InDesign has a function called Paste in Place. With this function it takes what is in the clipboard and pastes the contents along with positional data.

If I use KM's paste from a named clipboard, then Indesign ignores the positional data (even if that data is in the named clipboard).

Yes, as described in the above link:
Copy Clipboard to Clipboard action

1 Like

Thanks! For some reason, that doesn't carry over the positional data in InDesign. I guess InDesign must be doing something screwy. Maybe it doesn't save the positional data to the clipboard and it might store it in it's own space. Thanks anyway.

Is there any way to assign name clipboards from the entries in the clipboard history viewer. Using "Copy Clipboard to Copy Clipboard" gets the task done, but it would be so much quicker if I could create named clipboards from the Clipboard history.

In the clipboard history viewer, there is the option for "set clipboard to" but it doesn't seem to do anything?