Scheduled app activation

Hello,
Is it possible to create a macro which would activate a certain app or open a website at a specific time and even day of the week.
thanks very much

Hey @ronald,

Da.

Take a look at the Time of Day trigger and the Periodic trigger.

-Chris

1 Like

Chris: thanks very much for your post.
There is a Time of Day trigger, but in the description 'Remember that the Mac must be awake for the trigger to happen, and if the Mac is sleeping the macro will not fire at a later time'.
So I have to wake up the computer before triggering the macro (during the night), but how do I trigger the wake at a certain time ?
I am caught in a cognitive loop !
thanks again

You can schedule a "Wake" time in Energy Saver.

(Or by using pmset I think, but that's definitely harder.)

1 Like

thank you for your answer.
It is a good idea. The problem is that the options are limited.
I could not for example wake up the computer every Monday at 4:00am and every Tuesday at 1:00 am
@peternlewis would the grand master have an idea ?

Ah. Well, if you want something like that, I'm not sure if it can be done with KM or not (I'm on my iPad at the moment). However, you definitely could make a schedule like that with pmset.

I found this article on Macworld describing how to set it up. They reference a tool "Cronnix" which is no longer available, but the commands themselves can be entered into Terminal:

Here's another source from Stack Exchange:

1 Like

thank you very much for taking the time to find and post the info, which solves my problem.

Glad to help! There are so many little utilities out there for niche problems like this, no one can know them all!

1 Like

Now I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know how to use the Time of Day trigger.
I read the documentation but can't figure it out.
If I understand correctly I create a macro group which will be linked to this trigger but how do I insert it into the group ?
thank you

I'm not sure what the question is… You don't need to setup a special group for it.

The Time of Day trigger can be used just by selecting the time you want things to run in the trigger section instead of a keyboard shortcut.

1 Like

Hey @ronald,

You don't insert it into a group.

The trigger is at the macro level – not the group level.

You need to be sure the given macro is in a GLOBAL group though.

-Chris

1 Like

@tjluoma
My thanks to both of you. I found the trigger.