Scratchpad

This macro creates a text window that you can type things in that automatically saves. Kind of like a sticky note, except it gets out of your way when you don't need it. Simple way to keep track of things you want to remember but don't need to save forever.

Scratchpad.kmmacros (3.2 KB)

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Nik.

For those that use Evernote, or are considering using it, Evernote offers a Quick Note:

But the quick note isn’t persistent. It just creates a note. This creates a persistent note that just sticks around. It’s a little sticky or maybe a chalkboard is more accurate.

1 Like

This is excellent! Thanks for sharing this.

Do you know of a simple way to close the window by repressing the same hot key?

1 Like

Just as a side note (for people who don’t know, and not to put down your macro): BBEdit offers a very versatile, autosaving Scratchpad. Also in the free version, I think.

1 Like

Yup, BBEdit’s is what gave me the idea.

I still use SOHO Notes, which allows for opening a quick note from within any application, without opening the application itself. The quick note can be left on the screen, and saved to a folder in the application. Unlike Evernote, SOHO Notes content can be accessed and searched from the menu bar without opening the app.

FYI, Evernote Notes can be searched from Spotlight, and a small preview is shown. But to view the full Note, you do have to have the Evernote app open.

Nik, I think you have a great macro, which I'm sure many users will find useful.

My apologies for my somewhat off-topic posts about Evernote.
I'll make this my last one.

I just discovered the full functionality of the Evernote Quick Note, which is activated by either a click on the Evernote Status Menu, or by hotkey.

You do NOT have to save to Evernote account.

Oh yeah, I know. And I'm not really against Evernote. I just hang onto SOHO Notes because of the QuickNote feature, which I trigger with a hotkey, BetterTouchTool gesture, or a voice command. But sadly SOHO Notes is in no way as advanced as Evernote in terms of syncing between devices, and integrating with other apps.

BBEdit has the Scratchpad, but I can’t find it in TextWrangler, the free version of BBEdit.

1 Like

As far as I know TextWrangler will disappear, and BBEdit Demo serves as a sort of BBEdit Light (without time limit).

See this and the following post.

That’s the first I’ve heard of it. I’ve used TextWrangler for years. Thanks for the link to learn more.

I just updated this macro for KM8, so now the window is resizable and remembers its position if you move it around. Despite having learned about Evernote's menu item, there's something to be said for a floating "sticky note." I still use this all the time.

Scratchpad.kmmacros (4.6 KB)

2 Likes

INik, thanks for creating and sharing this. Is there a way to enlarge the default font size? It won't allow for increasing the font size. I tried throwing some HTML code in there, but I couldn't get it to work.

I have a file called scratchpad.md in my Dropbox account, in a similar vein.

I’ve created one or two KM macros to help add stuff to it.

This macro is probably one I could adapt and adopt to help with this.

1 Like

The css you're looking for is something like this:

textarea { font-size: 24pt; }

Awe, thank you very much. It (8pt) makes it much better. Looks like I need to do a basic refresher on css. Lol