I had some time, so I played around with this a bit this morning. URL encoded addresses do not seem to work with Google Maps. Instead, I had to process the copied address to do three things:
Replace any line breaks with plus signs
Replace any spaces with plus signs
Replace any dots with commas
Doing that, it seems to work. This macro assumes you have the address highlighted, then presses Command-C to put it on the clipboard. It then does the above replacements, sets the final URL, and finally opens that URL.
It seems to work here, but please let me know how it works for you. (Note that my macro creates some variables that aren't strictly necessary, but I find it easier for others to see what's happening. They're also local variables, so they'll vanish when the macro finishes.)
Not sure what happened here, but I tested the percent-encoded output from my macro and it worked in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.
Perhaps I didn't test a large enough variety of inputs?
Nevertheless, whether you use percent-encoding or convert everything to plus signs, I would still recommend /search/ over /place/.
If I have anything short of a full address (e.g., "123 Main St" without city/state/zip), /place/ seems to fail outright (for me, at least), while /search/ uses the location context from my IP address to provide a best guess (as you would expect from a search within the app).
If I have a specific and complete mailing address, both /search/ and /place/ produce the same result.
Not sure either, but when I sent a multi-line encoded address through the URL encode filter, Google Maps failed (using either /place or /search). I just used my home address (in USA) as the test. Weird.
Good to know. I hardly ever look up incomplete addresses, so the shortcut I have in my web search macro is the /place/ one, but sounds like I should switch it.