Seemingly Simple Finder Macro – Can't Figure It

All I want to do is "Show Search Criteria" in a Finder Window. Two things have eluded me--both seem embarrassingly simple!

1. It's not a menu item. I had it working on the Finder window--until, of course, I changed the size--then it misses. How do I select it.
  2. Also, I don't see how to select it ONLY if it wasn't already selected!
    Sorry for my ignorance. All help appreciated.
    -DougC.

How did you have it working? UI Scripting?

Hey Douglass,

You need to be a bit more specific.

F brings this up on my macOS 10.12.6 Sierra system and on my 10.14.6 Mojave system.

Give us some more details, and we'll be able to help.

-Chris

Yes, thank you for responding.

I saved several "folders" with specific search criteria. Then I wrote KM script to open each, BUT I like to view and possible edit the search criteria. That is what generated my questions. Many times it works. However,

1. Selecting "Show/Hide Search Criteria" not a menu item in the Finder main menu bar (two bar on the screen that is). Only in the window itself.. I had it working on the Finder window--until, of course, I changed the size of the window--then KM misses because I think I could only choose relative to the coordinates of the corner? How do I select it reliably?
  2. Also, I don't see how to select it ONLY if it wasn't already selected! OR check what it says (Hide or Show)?

Sorry for my ignorance. All help appreciated.

-DougC.

Hey Doug,

Okay, this one isn't too hard to accomplish.

Make sure you have the Actions button in your Finder toolbar.

• Load up the appended macro in Keyboard Maestro.

• Take a new screenshot on your system of the button.

• Paste it into the image well of the Click-At-[Found Image] (https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/Found_Image) action.

• Run the macro.

Personally I would use AppleScript and System Events, but that get's complicated – especially across system versions and individual customizations in the Finder.

This method will probably work well enough for you.

-Chris

Finder ⇢ Show Search Critera ⇢ Click Action Menu.kmmacros (19 KB)

Wow...didn't even know about "Find images"--very powerful (when necessary!). THANKS so much. Working GREAT.