Select One of Three Actions at Random

I can't seem to find the answer in the forum.

I need my macro to choose one of three actions at random, but I am stuck as RAND (1,3) is red.

Halp!

: )

Hutch

Do you really have a variable named "RAND(1,3)"? :wink:

Use "If calculation RAND(1,3) is =..." instead.

2 Likes

As @Nige_S says, use the Calculation RAND(1,3), and the switch members should use the is = values.

1 Like

I'm sorry I am so remedial.

How do I get the action "Switch of Calculation" ?

• Use the menu item Edit > Insert Action > by Name...
  • Type “switch”.
  • Insert the action.
  • Change the IF option at the top.

Don't forget that you can search the available actions, function, and text-tokens using the various Edit > Insert... menu items.

You can use the search field in the Help menu of the Keyboard Maestro Editor.

And you can search the KM Wiki.

2 Likes

Don't be! We've all done this at least once -- or, in my case, at least once a day...

Keep an eye out for red entries in KM's fields -- they mean it's an invalid entry. It might be text where a number is required or vice versa -- or, in this case "That can't possibly be a KM variable because the name is invalid" (variable names can't include a function name with spaces around it).

KM is "helpfully unhelpful" in that actions in macros are often renamed according to the options selected in that action -- great in that you can quickly see what an action does, not so great when you want to find the corresponding "basic" action in the Action List. As @ccstone says, "Search" is your friend and trying the first "programy" word in the name will normal find what you need.

1 Like

Still confused. Wen I add 'Switch/case' I only see these options, Searching for 'calculation' also didn't present the option I am looking for.

"Calculation" was added as an option in version 10 -- always worth mentioning if you aren't using the current version of an app.

If you aren't going to update KM, try splitting this into two operations -- set the variable to a random number, test the variable in the "Switch/Case" action:

You can do it all in one action by using a %Calculate% token to generate the random number in the Switch's "Text", but it will be less obvious what you've done when you look at it in a year's time!

1 Like

I upgraded to KM 10

I'm all set now. I didn't realize there was a new version.

This is just the best app in the world. Thanks All!

2 Likes