Send Clipboard to App

I used to use an annotation app that was able to get an image from clipboard, process it, and export it. However, it has been abandoned for a while and Catalina broke one of its main features so I abandoned it.

I'm looking to partially replicate this functionality with KM if possible.

What I would like to do is create a macro - triggered by a hotkey - that would open the contents of the latest clipping in the clipboard (optional: only if said content is an image) in a desired application.

Is anything resembling what I have described possible?

All suggestions appreciated.

This assumes the clipboard has a bitmap and opens it in Photoshop:

Thank you for your suggestion. I currently have something similar cooked up in the Preview app.

Unfortunately, however, this is a little too specific. I'm looking for a more app-agnostic solution. I want to make my life easier if I ever decide to change the application the clipboard is being "sent" to.

Assuming you typically take screenshots in PNG format, which I believe is the default format, I think something like this should work:

Edit Image in Clipboard.kmmacros (3.4 KB)

All you have to do is change the "Open temp.png" action to a different image editor if you want to change the application receiving the clipboard.

2 Likes

@gglick you actually guessed the app correctly. :smiley:

I hope CleanShot devs add an option to assign a hotkey for "Open from Clipboard" in a future update. In the mean time, I'm so happy KM exists.

1 Like

@gglick knows the answer before many of us ask the question. If all Chris Carter did was catch touchdowns, all Gabe does is post solutions! :trophy:

1 Like

It looks like CleanShot X did add support for annotating images in the clipboard in its most recent update, and since it works with more than one image type, I'd suggest using that rather than this macro from now on. However, after I posted that macro, I realized it would also be nice to be able to edit any arbitrary image file in CleanShot as well, so I updated the macro to handle that t̶o̶o̶ instead. Here it is in case anyone else finds it useful:

Edit Image in CleanShot X.kmmacros (3.3 KB)

1 Like