Setting Up a hotkey in Ableton... but now I cant use that key to type in a text search box within the app?

In the Music program Ableton, I'm using "r" and "t" to Zoom out/in respectively.. I can get them working fine but now when I go to a text search box inside Ableton and try and type, I can't use the letters "r or t"
which obviously isnt what I want...

Anyway to get around this??
Thanks!

If you've assigned them as single keys, then you can't type those keys unless you modify your macro to only be active when a text input field is not active. I imagine that may be possible, but it's probably easier to just assign the macros to Control-R and Control-T (or whatever else you like), and save the single keys for typing :).

-rob.

1 Like

Ahh How would I modify the macro to be active when a text input field is not active??? I'd love to change the hotkey assigned to the macros but I've been using those commands for 15+ years and my hand is literally programmed to use those keys haha... Couldn't dream of changing now

thanks so much
Edit: This is what I'm using right now...
Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 10.15.12 PM

I don't really know—that's why I wrote that I imagine it might be possible :). In most text fields, if you have text on the clipboard, the Edit > Paste menu is active; otherwise, it is not. So in theory, something like this might work:

Press 'r' > macro activates

1. Set system clipboard to "blah blah blah"
  2. If Exists menu item Edit > Paste, then type 'r'
  3. Else do zoom stuff
  4. Delete most recent clipboard

But that's in theory; I haven't ever tried anything like that.

-rob.

1 Like

Gotcha!!! I'l try and investigate a little more!!

Thanks so much again! Really hoping I can figure it out :slight_smile:

I have the same problem with I use NetNewsWire. I have 'j' and 'k' mapped to up and down, but whenever I bring up Alfred I can't type them in, I've even developed muscle memory to use capital K and J in Alfred when using NetNewsWire.

If somebody has an answer here I'm all ears as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think what @griffman suggests should work. But it was always too "imprecise" for me, because it is hardly possible to differentiate between different text fields.

That's why I use BTT for such cases. Fields are recognized by name. So I can specify that something only happens if the cursor is in field A or B, but not in field C or D. One app will never be able to do everything. KM and BTT are the perfect combination for me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh wow that could be the solution!

I’m going to look at BTT now…

I was also thinking a solution could be…

“If the cursor isn’t at X location” then activate the hotkey… type of thing.