Show palette for one action, but don't disable group after selecting an action

As I learn to remember my shortcuts it would be helpful if I have a hotkey that can display my macro group palette for one action.

I want the group to always be active - no matter the visibility of the palette. And I want to be able to see those macros in a floating palette that automatically closes after a macro is selected. When the palette closes, al the macros should remain active.

The problem is, making a palette visible for one action disables the macro group after selecting a macro. Am I missing something obvious? Can the I show the palette for one action but not disable the group after a macro is clicked?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

No, if you show the palette for one action, then it will be disabled afterward. Generally for any macro group that shows a palette, the palette being displayed is in exact sync with the macro group being enabled.

The only way you can do this is to have two macro groups:

Primary Macro Group holds all your macros and is always active
Palette Macro Group has a macro for each macro with the same name and just Execute Macro action to execute the macro from the Primary Macro Group

Show the Palette Macro Group for one action as required.

A bit tedious but its the best you can do at this point.

I’m having a similar issue with macro palettes…

Apart from the tedium, the problem that I think may occur with duplicating commands, unless I’m mistaken (and I may be because I’m very new to KM ), is having the conflict palette pop up while learning the hotkeys. Is there a way around that?

I don’t have the perfect solution, but I do have something I use that helps, when one of my palettes gets in the way.

I have two different screen positions for my one of my palettes, saved in variables. When I press my hotkey, it toggles the palette from one to the other. Also, if I drag the palette manually, then press the hotkey, it moves the palette back to the primary position.

If that would be useful to you, let me know and I’ll post the macros.

But I agree with you, it would be nice if there was another solution.

1 Like

I can see where that might be very helpful. For my situation, I’m okay with manually moving the palette since at least it remembers its last position. I did hope to use the palette mostly for reference. I’ve chosen to deactivate all my palettes for now and just use the menu or hotkeys until a future update where hopefully they can all work simultaneously. Thanks!

@DanThomas
Your macros sound very useful for my setup, would you be so kind to share them?

I believe the macro I just posted to do the job for you.
If you have any questions, issues, and/or suggestions, please post in the thread where the macro is posted.

###MACRO: Palette Show/Hide Palette for FrontMost App