Snap Palette to Front Window Plugin Action

Been rummaging around trying to find UUID of Macro Group to paste into Snap Palette.

Going in round in circles. Where do I find it?

Ignore - found it!

Thanks

Michael

Hey Michael,

Go to the search field in the Keyboard Maestro Editor's Help menu.

Type “uuid”.

More will be revealed.

-Chris

Cheers Chris. Should start with Help really!

Holy moly this was just what i was looking for! Excellent :smiley: thx for @iampariah for pointing me to this

1 Like

Hi @DanThomas, since KM 8 I always get a message that there is something wrong with the plugin. This message appears with every activated app. Also for those (here Safari) where the Snap Palette Plugin is not installed.

The error messages do not stop until I deactivate the plugin.

Here is a short video.

Hi appleianer,

I get also an error if the palette is set to "Shows a palette for one action".

It works fine for me if the palette is set to

• "Shows/hides a palette when" or
  • "Shows a palette until".

Example:

Works:

Error:

1 Like

Thank you for your quick answer @Tom. Even if I take your suggestion into account, the messages come. There must be something wrong with the applescript

It's confusing that the plugin works (video), but that these messages are always displayed and then also in apps that I don't use with this plugin. I also only targeted the used apps, but even there I get the error messages in all apps.

Here is a screenshot of my settings. Under KM 7 this worked perfectly.

Can you post the the error from the log? The message is not entirely visible in the on-screen notifications.

You can easily find the log: KMEditor: Help > Open Logs Folder. It's the Engine.log.

No need to post the whole log file content, just the complete log entry that is made when the error happens. (An entry starts with a time stamp like 2017-09-19 22:46:03)

Hi @Tom, I have the desired log file here.

If you need anything else, please contact me.

Thank you for your help.

Weird. That’s the same error I had with “Shows a palette for one action” setting, as described above.

My guess was that — due to that setting — the palette disappears just in the moment before the AppleScript runs (thus the “no valid index” error). But I think this does not explain the behavior you are reporting.

I have to think.

BTW, you can copy from the log file (select the text, then press ⌘C) and then paste it here (⌘V). No need to post images :wink:

I’ve just seen in your screenshots that you are showing the palette settings of the group where the Snap Palette macros are in.

What I meant in the other post is the palette setting of the group where the target macros are in (e.g. your iA Writer group or whatever).

Please check the palette settings of the target groups (“Shows a palette for one action” versus “Shows/hides a palette when”/“Shows a palette until”).

Please excuse the misunderstanding.

I have now changed everything as you described it first and it works.
You really are an angel of Keyboard Maestro :innocent:

Thank you very much for your help :+1::clap:

Happy that I could help!

Nothing to excuse. It was me who failed to tell you explicitly what palette settings I was talking about.

Have you found a way to prevent snapping to QuickLook? I would be delighted to know it!

No I haven't, but I haven't really tried. In general, when you don't want it to snap to a specific window, you do something like this:

So perhaps you can find something in the QuickLook window to look for.

Good luck. If you figure out an answer, post it here so all of us can benefit. Thanks!

1 Like

After more time than I should care to spend on the issue I have finally resolved the case.

the application is located here:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QuickLookUI.f ramework/Versions/A/Resources/QuickLookUIHelper.app

This was a good day! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One more tweak:
When QuickLook starts I conceal the palette, and when it quits, I reveal it again. It has couple of seconds latency on quit, though

Installed this today, mucho thanko! It works great — with Mail.app.

Unfortunately, not so great with OmniFocus. As far as I can tell, the palette is snapping to a position relative to the center of the window, not the edge/corner. Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Hey @DanThomas - Been playing and enjoying this! Very nice step forward with making palettes more useable! It's a bit crack like for UI tweekers like me who all but can't stop working on getting the UI to work as I'd like to.

Been playing with creating "Toolbars" both text and icon based for app windows replacing whatever existing ones there may be.

Below is the current ever evolving set. It's allow me to integrate several other favorite apps.

Can't get it to snap any sub-palettes evoked from the already snapped main palette. Is that currently possible?

Honestly, I don’t know. But if you’re on UI crack, you’ll probably figure it out eventually! :slight_smile: However, it may take some creative thinking. You could also ask @peternlewis if there’s any events you can hook into, but I kind of doubt it.