[SOLVED] AppleScript error moving files

I have this AppleScript

tell application "Keyboard Maestro Engine"
	set sourceFolder to getvariable "CurrentSongAssetsPath01"
end tell

tell application "Finder"
	move POSIX file "/Users/dannywyatt/My Files/Inbox Global/images/Facebook-Feed.png" to folder sourceFolder with replacing
end tell

The path is this (coming from the global variable CurrentSongAssetsPath01
/Users/dannywyatt/My Files/Music Projects/Danny Wyatt/Music/_Assets Promo Videos/Danny Wyatt - Bond

I get this error:
Execute an AppleScript failed with script error: text-script:138:258: execution error: Finder got an error: Can’t get folder "/Users/dannywyatt/My Files/Music Projects/Danny Wyatt/Music/_Assets Promo Videos/Danny Wyatt - Bond". (-1728). Macro “move images test” cancelled (while executing Execute AppleScript).

I think I got something here:

I will see if I can do it. This post is familiar, meaning I think I had to achieve this recently, but I can't seem to find where I took notes about this.

Let's see what I can do

I can't seem to make it work...

I tried this, but no luck

set KMvar to getvariable "CurrentSongAssetsPath01"
end tell

set destFolder to alias POSIX file KMvar

move POSIX file "/Users/dannywyatt/My Files/Inbox Global/images/Facebook-Feed.png" to folder destFolder with replacing
end tell

I tried editing the last line to this, but no difference

move POSIX file "/Users/dannywyatt/My Files/Inbox Global/images/Facebook-Feed.png" to destFolder

Hmm. I think this should work. Are you sure you have the path right?

Try to verify by pasting "/Users/dannywyatt/My Files/Music Projects/Danny Wyatt/Music/_Assets Promo Videos/Danny Wyatt - Bond" into an If action with "At this path: something exists" condition:

1 Like

My bad...
I was performing some tests using that path, then I was working on something else, ended up deleting that folder, but didn't notice that the script was using that old path.
Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I'm just tired after spending the whole day creating macros haha

One question, if you know how to do this:

So this is the script

set KMvar1 to getvariable "CurrentSongAssetsPath01"
	set slugDashes to getvariable "new365SongPhotoshopExportTriggerDashes"
end tell

set destFolder to alias POSIX file KMvar1

move POSIX file "/Users/dannywyatt/My Files/Music Projects/Danny Wyatt/Music/_Assets Promo Videos/_All Images/Facebook-Feed.png" to folder destFolder
end tell

Right before the file name (Facebook-Feed.png), I would like to add a variable (slugDashes).

I was checking this page and I think I did everything right:

So the line on my script is:

move POSIX file ("/Users/dannywyatt/My Files/Music Projects/Danny Wyatt/Music/_Assets Promo Videos/_All Images/" & slugDashes & "-Facebook-Feed.png") to folder destFolder

It's validating, meaning the script is good

But when I run it I get this:
2023-11-20 22:01:20 Action 15400890 failed: Execute an AppleScript failed with script error: text-script:248:418: execution error: Finder got an error: Can’t get POSIX file "/Users/dannywyatt/My Files/Music Projects/Danny Wyatt/Music/_Assets Promo Videos/_All Images/bond-Facebook-Feed.png". (-1728)
2023-11-20 22:01:20 Execute an AppleScript failed with script error: text-script:248:418: execution error: Finder got an error: Can’t get POSIX file "/Users/dannywyatt/My Files/Music Projects/Danny Wyatt/Music/_Assets Promo Videos/_All Images/bond-Facebook-Feed.png". (-1728). Macro “5 - move images test” cancelled (while executing Execute AppleScript).

But this time, the path is good, because I copied from the Engine Log and compared it with the file's path, copied from finder:

One was from the Engine Log, the other one is copied from Finder. It's the same.
Any idea what's wrong?

Glad we solved the first problem!

I definitely do not know the "right" way to do this with AppleScript, and I would probably manipulate path stuff in KM before passing it if I could, but try to build the string for the file path first, like this:

set SourceString to "/Users/dannywyatt/My Files/Music Projects/Danny Wyatt/Music/_Assets Promo Videos/_All Images/" & slugdashes & "-Facebook-Feed.png"
set SourceFile to POSIX file SourceString
	move SourceFile to folder destFolder with replacing
end tell
1 Like

Thank you so much Evan! That worked like a charm!
Yes, a good alternative would be to define all variables, including the the "slugs" variable and just send the final one to AS.

The reason I'm using AS is because sometimes creating a macro using actions takes longer and it gets messy really fast. I've been experiencing that in the last few days and I would like to start using AS sometimes for certain scenarios where I can create a good workflow in a few seconds.

I will save this solution on my Notes so I can go back to it next time I need it.

The "with replacing" part is just necessary if there are files with the same name, right? I removed it, because I'm 100% sure I will never have 2 files there with the same name.

1 Like

Yes.

FWIW, I use Script Debugger to fiddle with these things before dropping them into KM. Here's what it said in the dictionary for the "with replacing" parameter of the move command: "Specifies whether or not to replace items in the destination that have the same name as items being moved"

So glad you got it worked out :muscle:

1 Like

You mean "we" got it worked out :wink:
Appreciate it!

I have it installed, but I'm very new to AppleScript so having a more advanced tool like that doesn't give me much insight, because it kinda confuses me even more haha

I'm learning as I go, taking notes, saving some scripts as a reference, etc