Some Front Browser Actions Contain a String for "Safari"

When I was searching (search field) through some of my macros I found that the Front Browser actions are also returned when "Safari" is searched for. I think this is because they are variations on the same action. Is this intended behaviour? It makes it hard to find which macros are using safari vs chrome vs front browser actions.
Specifically I've had an issue with the "Set variable to Front Browser Field" action.

Hey Vincent,

Yes.

Since the Front Browser actions work with Safari they are linked to the string.

-Chris

I'd agree with your logic if it also included Chrome. I get the below xml when I copy the action as XML. I think this shows why safari returns the action as a search result, but chrome does not.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" 
    "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
  <plist version="1.0">
  <array>
  <dict>
    <key>Field</key>
    <string>//*[@id="editAmount"]</string>
    <key>MacroActionType</key>
    <string>SetVariableToSafariField</string>
    <key>Variable</key>
    <string>receiptValue</string>
    <key>WebBrowser</key>
    <string>Front Browser</string>
  </dict>
  </array>
  </plist>

Hey Vincent,

Hmm... Great detective work! It looks like I stand corrected.

@peternlewis – Peter – please weigh-in...

-Chris

@peternlewis, I agree with Vincent.

When I am searching for specific actions, I don't really want alternate uses/names to be included in the search. For example, I may want to search for all "safari" (or "chrome") actions so I can convert to FrontBrowser actions. Obviously I don't want FrontBrowser actions to show up in that search.

This has nothing to do with the XML - the XML is not searched by the search field.

The Action Title for that action is always “Set Variable to Safari Field” (this is different from the displayed title, which it eh Action Description).

The same is also true for the Execute JavaScript in Front Browser action, whose title is always “Execute a JavaScript in Safari”.

I have corrected these for 9.0. I don't believe there are any other browser actions that have this behaviour.

3 Likes