Straight/"Dumb" Quote Shortcut in Word

Because I'm picky about these things (and a technology writer), I like to put straight/dumb quotes where they belong (inches, feet, minutes, seconds, etc.). When I have the curly-quote option selected in Word, as I normally do because that's what I use the most, the only way that I can insert a straight quote is a KM macro using the Paste Test option. If it's typed, it turns back instantly into a curly quote.

Unfortunately, when I do, for reasons I don't understand, KM adds a space before the quote character. My current solution has been to expand the macro to cursor back, delete, cursor forward. It works but it feels klutzy.

Does anyone know how to get KM to paste the character without the space before it?

Thanks,
RIc

Hey Ric,

When asking questions of this sort it's best to post the simplest possible macro that demonstrates your problem. Finicky little details lurk inside macros, and it can be very difficult to solve problems based on prose and/or pictures alone.

An actual, testable macro goes helps a great deal and saves everyone time.

See if the appended macro does what you need.

-Chris

Download Macro(s): Insert Double Quote.kmmacros (1.8 KB)

Macro-Image

Keyboard Maestro Export

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.
System Information
  • macOS 10.14.6
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2

That's not KM, it's Word's "Smart Cut and Paste" feature. You can turn that off in Word -> Settings -> Edit -> "Use smart cut and paste", but you're probably going to be happier overall leaving it set and doing what you are now.

Right-o! I had forgotten about that. I guess that I'll put up with the cursor jumps. "Smart" but not smart enough, I guess.

Thanks!!

Thanks Chris! Being a writer, it never occurred to me to do that. In fact, I never really used the Export feature before. I’ve attached my “solution” to the issue, allowing me to continue using Smart Cut-and-Paste (as Nige_S pointed out).

Ric

dumb quote.kmmacros (3.05 KB)

Macro Image

1 Like