Stream Deck actions don't work; how to debug?

Recently purchased a Steam Deck XL. Would love to set images on some buttons using the Stream Deck Set Image action, but none of the Stream Deck actions are working for me (triggers do work).

My current setup uses 4 profiles, but all buttons I want to set the image for (which are all in the same profile) have a unique button ID.

What might I be doing wrong? How can I debug this?

Hey there, you will need to make sure that you set a button name for any button you want KM to send information to.

For instance, in the image below, the name in the KM action needs to match the name you assigned to the button from within the SD app.

You cannot use KMLink for this as it doesn't allow setting virtual ID or names; you must use the native KM action.

If that doesn't make sense just let me know and I can try to walk you through it! :grin:

-Chris

you will need to make sure that you set a button name for any button you want KM to send information to.

What do you mean with “name”? Title or Button ID?

Either way, both were already set, but actions don’t work (yet?).

Hey Rob,

The Button ID in the KM action needs to match the Button ID in the SD exactly, as shown in the two screenshots below.

If possible, post the macro itself so we can take a look at it and see what might be going wrong. As one of the moderators likes to say, "If we're not testing we're guessing, and guessing often wastes people's valuable time". :laughing: If you need help on how to post the macro, just let us know and we can walk you through it.

-Chris

It worked on a new button, but not on my existing ones.

Experimenting a bit more I see that it fails if I already assign an (initial) icon to a button in the Stream Deck software, but it works if the button uses the default KM icon.

Is this intended behavior?

Oh yes! I forgot to mention that if you had previously set an icon manually, you need to reset it to default for KM to be able to set the icon.

1 Like