Stream Deck! Or Why Keyboard Maestro 9 just became "the most expensive upgrade ever" *

As I was looking through the new feature-set of Keyboard Maestro 9, I kept seeing references to "Stream Deck support" and I was like "What the heck is a 'Stream Deck'?"

Roughly 30 minutes later, I had purchased the 32-key version from on Amazon:

So, the way I see it, Keyboard Maestro 9 just cost me $250.

Sure, others may say "But isn't this really just a symptom of your personal impulse-control issues?" to which I would reply "Stop talking."

18 Likes

I have to say I'm near to purchase a Stream Deck too :heart_eyes:. Most expensive upgrade ever!!!

2 Likes

I have often seen this on streamers (YouTube, Twitch) @tjluoma. Do you also use it for that? If not, what is the advantage of using over a KM palette?

1 Like

I'm not a YouTube streamer (and, in fact, I have no idea what this would be used for YouTube/Twitch).

For me I see it as a large set of "F-keys" that can be customized for Keyboard Maestro purposes.

The advantage over a palette will be that I won't have to have it on-screen to use them. (I almost never use palettes except keyboard-shortcut conflict palettes.)

I figured I can always return it if I don't actually find it useful, but I've already thought of a dozen different things that I want to try.

I only wish it was Bluetooth instead of USB, but oh well! That's what docks were made for!

Mine is arriving tomorrow. I'm already mapping the Scrivener macros.

(I have about 50 books to annotate, and a 1,000 or so Evernotes to migrate and parse. The ultimate amount of keystrokes and clicks this setup will save me has to be numbered with scientific notation.)

3 Likes

Haha! @peternlewis should setup a commission program with Elgato!

I've seen Stream Deck before but KM's new support for them is the first time I've actually considered buying. The humble number keypad on my keyboard which triggers a lot of my KM macros is looking pretty boring right now :laughing:

1 Like

I have had a stream deck for over a year, thanks to some ingenious macros by this community to help integrate the two. To all those who have one arriving in the near future, you are not going to be disappointed. Is it anything more than a toy? No, not really. But I absolutely love it. I can’t wait to download version nine and see if there’s any further integration. But if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me.

1 Like

Just a quick note on the XL 32 key version....

Corsair has decided to build the device with a different low quality screen manufacture resulting in a low contrast, yellow color cast and distorted screen dimensions. All the icons will be compressed vertically; circles will be slightly oblong and text will be extended. (see attachment)

This may not be an issue for some (maybe it is good enough), however for me - I would expect the quality to be just as good as the original - if not better for the price I am paying for this premium product.

With all these issues, the response I received from customer service:

Thank you for your patience. The Elgato Stream Deck and Elgato Stream Deck XL are two different produced devices. Elgato Stream Deck XL and other Elgato Stream Deck use different displays. That is the reason why the Elgato Stream Deck XL and the Elgato Stream Deck do not look the same.

Just to be clear, I love the original 15 key Stream Deck . One of the best gadgets I purchased in a long time. The color contrast for the 15 key is good, and the pixel dimensions perfect. I have two 15 key units and I was so excited to see this new product. Unfortunately I will be returning the XL Stream Deck and keeping my original which is far better build quality.

Just a warning if you are cursed with attention to detail as I am.

2 Likes

Steam Deck has a new mobile version - no wires included!

2 Likes

Right there with you. I just need to carve out a little time to build all those keysets...

1 Like

Thanks @Xacto for the info. If a real iPad app is available, it's really interesting. Especially in combination with Keyboard Maestro
Also the annual subscription of 27,- € is fine to compare the price for the hardware. Especially since all updates will be included.

I keep an eye on it :wink:

1 Like

I've been using one of these programable keypads and it works great. Also, if you have any midi devices they work well as triggers. I've found several new condition Novation Launchpads on Ebay for under $25 US.

2 Likes

I own multiple USB devices with buttons that i use for KM, two Xkeys devices, but none of them is better then a StreamDeck because the SD has icons that we can set, and change. No need to make small paper inlays for the Xkeys or remember keys.

I currently use a ShuttleProV2 , which I love. It has a shuttle and a jog wheel, which is great for editing videos.

And I can keep one hand on it and click macro buttons by "feel". Since I can't do that with the StreamDeck, I'm not sure I see an advantage using it, over, say, a floating palette.

NOTE: I'm just trying to talk myself out of buying a StreamDeck right friggin' now, because it sure looks cool. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Dan, you would love to use both.
Sorry, i know, this answer costs you money.

1 Like

What's money good for, if not to spend? :smile:

3 Likes

I'd been using a 15-key streamdeck for a while (even before KM9. When I got it I wrote a plugin to run inline applescripts on it, which I mostly use to trigger KM macros: https://github.com/mushoo/streamdeck-applescript ). I just got the XL a week or two ago, and I love it. I'm still generally using my applescript plugin instead of the official KM plugin, just because I find it a lot easier to set up - finish my KM macro, copy the applescript it generates, paste it into the streamdeck button, done. I'll probably use the official KM plugin for some of my more involved plugins that take a long time, just as a way to provide some feedback while it's running.

But I love the XL - so many buttons per page! On the 15key I had about 4-5 pages of buttons just for my one main program, now I can fit all my most used onto one screen!

1 Like

Mushoo, I just found your Applescript plugin, great work!

I used Trigger Files before KM9 to trigger KM macro's from SD. But the fact that KM can send images and text to SD is great. So i can make visual feedback of things that was not possible before. Superb!

The other big advantage is that we can now differentiate between button press, button up, button down and also use modifiers in combination with the SD buttons. Bug step forward!

Oh absolutely! Just that 90% of the time I don't need that, I just need a button to trigger a macro. But in those 10% that I do need it it's much appreciated :smiley:

Here is a little macro that I created that will completely automate the process of creating an Apple Script Trigger of your current macro to a file that can be used on Stream Deck. Just one click.

Auto Script Maker 1.1.kmmacros (76.3 KB)