Stream Deck! Or Why Keyboard Maestro 9 just became "the most expensive upgrade ever" *

I would let them know you are are not satisfied either way. I hate to see a great product like Stream Deck go down this road for future products.:frowning:

2 Likes

Do you mean that 1 key in the 15key will call a 32key profile and then pressing another key in the 15key to call up another set of 32key? That means, you essentially have 15*32 = 480 keys!

Or 15 applications, each application has 32 other keys! OMG!

I Have a 6 key and a 15. 15 goes to my right and 6 to the left.

15 is used for permanent automations. 6 is used for temporary ones. Though I could use part of it to switch the 15 - as described here.

A reasonable compromise?

There are two ways to do it that I can see.

Option 1:

Right XL, I press a button called "Xcode" that opens the "Xcode profile" on left XL = 32 keys just for Xcode on left. right keys remain "general" short cut keys.

Option 2:

Right XL, I press a button called "Xcode" that opens the "Xcode profile" on left XL = 32 keys just for Xcode on left + the right Xcode button opens an "Xcode" profile with a different set of shortcuts on the right panel replacing my "general" shortcuts on right. = 63 total keys for Xcode. But I always leave one key as a "go back" to default/general "profile

Yup. I know El gato made these things for video and youtubers but every programmer out there. (i am a dev) should look into how these things can improve their productivity even more.

Cause... trying to remember all the possible shortcuts is just not doable any more, to say nothing of hot key combos running out unless you use command shift option control page up page down F1 F2 F3 "J"

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds good. But a six for me would not be enough because now I am doing profiles that also include ancillary apps that are part of a particular flow.

I created a "SublimeTextEditor" profile, and even though I have not filled up 32 keys yet, I have included some keys that launch and reload my Rest App, and brings up terminal and thanks to KM, brings up terminal and runs some command Line stuff in the command line of it to save me time.

its crazy how much one can optimize.

If they supported 3 stream decks on the USB bus I would buy another XL.

1 Like

Just got the XL. Loving it, and have only scratched the surface. KM+SDXL promises to greatly reduce friction in my daily work. Of course, the main drawback is just falling down the rabbit hole of designing and implementing a killer set of dedicated shortcuts.

Has anyone set up a profile for the Apple Calculator app, setting the SDXL up as a 10-key pad?

Deleted

I'm tempted by the Stream Deck, but one thing isn't clear to me. Does Keyboard Maestro replace their app? I'm not eager to keep their app running all the time, but if I only need it to set the images on the buttons, I can live with that.

If you are running Stream Deck's smartphone/iPad app, you'll need to have both Desktop apps running for this to work, KM and Stream Deck.
Same thing for alternative apps like Touch-Portal.

You definitely need the Stream Deck app working on your Mac in order for Keyboard Maestro to send information to the Stream Deck.

FWIW, the app seems fine… stable, and does not take much by the way of resources. It's a worthwhile trade-off to keep it running in exchange for the functionality the hardware gives, IMO.

2 Likes

Even with English translation enabled I have a hard time understanding what you are saying but I am able to follow the process and this is very cool. This reduces everything down to gestures. I would gladly subscribe to some English version videos of more workflows.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, no. It doesn't. That's a nice feature for sure. However when you are a musician you know that when you learn a song, muscle memory starts to step forward, so while I might stop and have to ask the question: "Now which screen was that button I needed?" With the larger surface of the Hotkey Matrix, now your body is automatically moving to the button you had assigned an action to. This is powerful.

This doesn't change the fact that the Stream Deck is a very cool device and I do like it. I was in no way being critical of the Stream Deck and sorry if it came off that way.

Hello @Tunes, I have sent you a direct message.

This is very interesting, I have been trying to get TouchOSC to receive incoming midi from KM but I have not been successful, can you explain how you did it?

Thank you

Wow! What a purchase! The Stream Deck XL is superb :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great stuff - saw and bought the XL version...
I'll be using it primarily for coding purpose as I tend to wander across several platforms. I am a text expander user and has been for some time but I came to realise that simply doing a simple paste from the deck didn't trigger the commands in text expander. I decided to take a look at KM - and yes using KM I can use the "Insert by typing" instead which triggers the text expander snippet (both on Mac and the virtual machine which run's windows) .

One thing that I am missing is taking full usage of the folder structure on the stream deck - as it is today the button placed at rowX, colY triggers the same id(regardless of the folder which you have navigated to) hence KM has no way of knowing this..

(Myself) look harder !!

Realised that the issue is simply to rename the button id as stated here.

Well - now, just perfect !

1 Like

cool @mbruhn !

Hello there do you know if i can use SD with KM to hold a key on SD and click & drag an object (to duplicate it for ex) in inDesign ?
It look like that i can not do this with SD only. In inDesign, for instance, i assign an alt key as a macro on SD. When i hold the key the cursor change as i wish but when i hold the left key of my mousse down it's no longer appear : so the object don't duplicate as attempting but just move.
Hope i'm clear...
Thank's !

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It's a bit clunky to use Stream Deck to hold a modifier, as you'll have to use AppleScript, and I can't imagine a scenario where I'd rather press a SD button than old ⌥, which is right under my fingers. Having said that...

• Set up a SD button with the Keyboard Maestro plugin action (i.e. not KM Link).
  • Set both triggers in the below macro to this button (one for pressed, one for released).
  • Pressing will hold ⌥ and releasing will release it.
  • Be aware that it is not quite instantaneous, as a script is being run and I still recommend sticking with the ⌥ key on your keyboard.

Hold ⌥ Via Stream Deck Button.kmmacros (46 KB)

Macro screenshot