Stream Deck Plugin for Keyboard Maestro

@corcules Off-topic, but... As an experienced SD/KM user, have you ever had any thoughts about programatically changing SD profiles? The current way I do it is to associate profiles with blank applets that KM can launch, but it's really clunky. Unbelievable that Elgato haven't given that any thought in all this time!

1 Like

Hello Neil,

Yes we are all waiting for that !!! :sob:

But Iā€™ve read recently from Elgato that it may be possible soonā€¦

Of course Iā€™ve tried severals ways to do that:

• When you make an SD plugin, you can include inside the plugin some predefined profiles. These kind of profiles can be called programmatically. But itā€™s really not practical and I abandoned that way.

• You can try AppleScript to select the profile inside via the Stream Deck menubar. But itā€™s not easy particularly when you have severals Stream Decks, lots of profiles, some profiles with the same name in different Stream Deckā€¦ it works quite good but not very practical = abandoned.

• Finally, I kept the applet's, itā€™s the least worst.

Itā€™s quite good enough actually.

My first use case is simple : Iā€™m doing web development. I use an application for coding (IDE). But inside this application, I write lots of different langages like html, JavaScript, css, php,ā€¦ I have a lot of KM macros for each langages or frameworks I use (sophisticated snippets, formatting text, building app, versioning code,...). To be simple, I have a SD profile for each langage. Iā€™ve made a small plugin for my IDE that launch a specific applet depending on the extension of the file currently edited (focused). An applet for php, one for JavaScript, etcā€¦

A similar use case with Finder app and applet's. Some Finderā€™s windows have their own SD profile when coming in front (to manage photos or files, to do accountancy, customerā€™s prolected folder, etcā€¦)

Just to share.

1 Like

Good to know you've been through that process too. I think Elgato should pay you for KM Link. It makes the hardware 10X more useful! Seriously, I'm not sure I'd have persisted with SD without it!

Interesting. I emailed them about a month ago and they gave me no hope. Are you able to elaborate on what they said?

2 Likes

Woah, thatā€™s rather exciting news. Can you share what they said?

1 Like

We both posted within a second of each other. :joy:

1 Like

Haha too slow my friend :sweat_smile:

OulĆ , slowdown guys ! :smile:

Itā€™s not a news sorry.
I just read few days ago, somewhere (i guess on reddit) someone from Elgato saying that itā€™s on their todo list.
Just a Ā« somewhere someone Ā» thenā€¦

But last release notes of the Streamdeck SDK may indicate that they are working on something like thatā€¦

4 Likes