Streamdeck Plugin request

So I've been toying (briefly) with the official Streamdeck plugin for Keyboard Maestro. Previously I'd been using my applescript Streamdeck plugin ( https://github.com/mushoo/streamdeck-applescript ), just copying/pasting the applescript trigger. Works great, and is really easy to set up since I don't need to bounce back and forth between KM and SD.

The new plugin gives some features I've wanted (specifically 'set title' and 'set image' in the macro itself) but I'm not sure defining button position as X/Y really makes the most sense? For triggering the macro, at least. Is there a way to trigger a macro based on the "Button ID" you set in the SD plugin? From what I can tell I can edit the "Virtual Row" and "Virtual Column" to be whatever number I want, and keyboard maestro will pick that up (so I could have Row 35 and Column 761, waaaay outside of the bounds of the actual streamdeck). But I have to set that every time I'd make a new button.

I use a LOT of profiles on my streamdeck, so the default row/column positions are going to be repeated constantly. Trying to keep track of which profile is using which buttonIDs/rows/columns is going to be hellish. Why not just have each new instance of a button get a UUID (similar to how each macro gets a UUID) and trigger/refer to that? Would just be a single variable to keep track of instead of 2-3.

Yes, it could work differently. But mostly I did not really want to add a specific Stream Deck trigger, and so I cheated somewhat and made it work with the existing trigger. This also means you get all the features of that trigger for free, like pressed, released, while down, tapped three times.

Yes, I possibly should have used the Button ID instead, and hacked the trigger some more, but there are tradeoffs with everything. And as much as I like the Stream Deck, 95+% (probably 99+%) of Keyboard Maestro users will not have a Stream Deck. So the amount of development time spent on it has to be limited. So it felt more reasonably to piggy back off existing triggers, even if it was slightly more cumbersome to set up.

Understandable - as it is I'm probably going to keep using my applescript-based triggers for most of my macros. I have some big/long/involved ones that would benefit from the added user-feedback so I might switch those over to the new style, but my simple 'trigger this macro' won't get switched over.

1 Like

Hi mushoo,

i've made my own Streamdeck plugin for KM mainly for not having to use applescript or trigger files.
Maybe it can be useful for you too...

1 Like

Hi corcules,

I just tried your Streamdeck plugin and I am very impressed! Thanks for making it available. I can see myself using it a lot in the future.

A couple of ideas for you (should you be feeling generous!):

1. When presenting the list of macros to choose from don't show disabled ones in the list.
  2. Sort the available macros alphabetically within each group.

Once again - thanks!

Yes @corcules, I remember your plugin from Reddit - I actually helped you get it to not hang on untitled groups/macros, IIRC.

I actually prefer using the inline applescript triggers (though not trigger files). It's a lot quicker for me to just copy from KM's 'or by script' at the macro's trigger setup area, and then paste straight into the inline field in my streamdeck plugin. It's like, 2-3 clicks.

@mushoo, yes i remember and thank you for your help.
Since these days, i’ve completely rewrite the plugin full obj-c, no AppleScript, and it’s really much more faster to get and parse the km macro list. Almost
instantaneous indeed...

Hi guys,

a small update of KM Plugin for streamdeck is available

1 Like

Thanks.
what are the changes ?

This plug-in is WONDERFUL.

I loved the previous one done by a different developer but this one is better for a four main reasons IMO.

1. No "press to get the key code / USB hardware" thing in KM. That would fail on my often and not allow me to connect it to the streamdeck button.

2. cleaner stream deck button interface then the other one I have been using.

3. YOU CAN MOVE THE KM based buttons in StreamDeck and it does NOT BREAK THE pointer to the KM macro. with the old one, since it was USB hardware key based, moving the button in Streamdeck would break the related KM macro underneath it.

4. This plug in lets you choose from the streamdeck app the macro you want and it groups them by folder.

The only thing I would change would be to set a default font size (theirs is 18. I like 11) and allow me to allows show text at bottom (they choose middle).

I have tested with two 32 key XLs at the same time, (left and right) and it works create even with multiple profiles on each.

2 Likes

Seconding keyskeys. Corcules plugin is absolutely top banana. It took me longer to figure out how to download it from GitHub than it did to download, install and figure it out. Allows the use of folders in Streamdeck Mobile where the previous plugin would always broadcast the same trigger (row X, column Y) regardless of whether you'd navigated into a folder.