Switching to another home wifi access point (AP)

Hi
I leave in a two-floor house, so I have a TPlink access point in the 2nd floor extending the main wifi network upstairs. Usually I stay connected to my 5G wifi in the 1st floor during the day, but when i get the the 2nd floor at night, my Mac persists to remain connected to the previous 5G (which is very weak upstairs).

In the "Preferred Networks" in System Preferences, if I decide to reorder the network names and put the AP in 1st position, I'll get the same problem downstairs in the next morning...

I was trying to find a way to automatically connect to the strongest wifi signal when getting upstairs, but failed to find any solution so far.

So, may be a KM macro could help here. The problem is that the Wireless Network trigger doesn't seem to be able to choose a network with a better signal.

Thanks.
KM 10.2
MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

I live in a very complicated old (1790s) house with plaster and lathe walls that stop wifi signals in their tracks. Since setting up multiple access points (each, both 2GHz and 5GHz) all with exactly the same SIDs and letting my devices shift amongst them as they will, I no longer have problems like what you've described. So, if possible, I'd recommend not using different network names....

1 Like

I wonder what happens if you turn Wi-Fi off, then on again. Does it connect to the previous network or the strongest network?

Thanks vincent, that's precisely what i've been doing.
If I turn off wifi and back on, the strongest signal is selected, of course.
My point is to switch to better network automatically, as my Android phone does!

Erik, my upstairs AP is 2,4 Ghz only, and my 1st floor router is 5Ghz.
Would giving the same SID still work in this config?
I presume I can check the answer by myself... :grinning:

Absolutely!

Well, it's a no go :roll_eyes: