Tagging Images Based on Same Name Green-Tagged JPGs in the Same Folder?

Will this application help me create a macro that finds green-tagged files (JPEG images) and then tag red the matching .RAF (Fujifilm Raw image) files of the same name and are located in the same directory? Is this possible? I would even be happy if it was just able to select the matching .RAF files where I can just right click in Finder and add the color tag I need.

I would also need this to work in multiple folders and not just a single non-changing directory. Since I organize my photo by event, each event will have it's own RAW folder containing the images.

I have attempted this many times using Apple Automator, AppleScript, and shell scripts. Though they work, they have been unable to do large batches (anything folder with a total of over 50 images causes a time-out). I typically have a folder with roughly 500-2000 images in it.

Please let me know if something like this is possible. If so, I will purchase the application immediately.

Hey Garrett,

This is a simple task for Keyboard Maestro.

Note that simple does not equate with easy – you have to know how to use the software.

I'm happy to help. Holler when you're ready to start.

-Chris

So if I am understanding you correctly, you want to

• Iterate through all the files in a folder
  • Consider only files that are .jpg and that are tagged with Green
  • For each matching file, tag the corresponding .raf file with Red

If that is correct, then yes, Keyboard Maestro can do that using:

When you deal with that many files you have to have a really good understanding of the pitfalls of the various methods...

Here's how to do it with Keyboard Maestro.

Download: Tag RAF Files in Accordance with JPG Files v1.00.kmmacros (11 KB)

Macro-Image

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.

System Information
  • macOS 10.14.6
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2

This took about 20 seconds to tag 1000 files on my old 2012 i7 MacBook Air. That's not bad for this hardware running Mojave.

• Download the macro.
  • Double-Click it in the Finder to import into Keyboard Maestro.
  • NOTE – You MUST make sure the macro and the parent macro-group are ENABLED after importing.
  • The macro currently has a hotkey trigger of Opt-F1.

NOTE – I had some trouble with files that were labelled Green and not Tagged Green. I used the Finder's Tags UI in the File menu to TAG the files Green, and the macro worked flawlessly after that.

1 Like

So sorry that I have not reported back. I have to be able to test this macro.

Work has been non-stop the past couple of days (which is not particularly normal). However once I do get a chance to try it out I will reply back here.

On another note – I am extremely grateful you want to help me.

I have struggled trying to get something like this to work for about 2 years now; I give up every now and again.

1 Like

THIS WORKS SO WELL. This is everything I wanted it to be.

Thank you for making the macro for me. It is such a gift, especially since I do not know this program. (However, after seeing the power of it, I need to read the documentation to see what else I can do with it!)

Let me buy you a coffee/beer! Do you have a "buymeacoffee.com" or PayPal?