Tiling All Running Application Windows

I’m a newbee, and am completely confused about why there is no apparent discussion of how to tile all windows for all running applications.

This seems a profoundly useful function, which Mission Control absolutely does not do! Mission control just spreads the chaos out over your screen without supporting a systematic way of cleaning up your desktop

Basically, I want to see an organized set of tiles, all the same size and adjacent to one another, for all currently running applications. Windows -spawned- by a given application can be tiled in the same way that he main application windows are tiled or the can be systematically minimized within the application that spawned them.

If there are more windows than fit the display for the specified tile size, then the macro should abort when it tiles the last window. That gives the user time to choose which windows to shut down, before executing the macro again to -re-tile the screen to see the remaining windows.

I would be very grateful if I I could receive some help creating this kind of macro. I tend to work with a -lot- of open applications, and this macro would be a big help.

Thanks in advance!

This seems like it should be possible with KM, but it also sounds like a tall order. I'm afraid I don't have the time to try and work out a solution like this with the depth it would require, but I can at least point you in the right direction:

Manipulate All Windows of Front App.kmmacros (2.3 KB)

This is the kind of action you would need to resize every window in the front application. Right now it will only resize every window to the same size and position, but you can use tokens and calculations in each of the move and resize fields to manipulate windows more dynamically. More information can be found here: https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/action/Manipulate_a_Window

Doing this for every window in every running app seems like even more of a tall order, but it's very possible one of the real KM/automation gurus here will know how to go about it. At any rate, hopefully this can at least get you started.

Hey @jshulman,

Unfortunately that's because it can't be done in any reasonable fashion.

You vastly underestimate the complexity of building such a thing.

Within the scope of Keyboard Maestro it might be possible to do something using the Custom HTML Prompt action if you knew enough HTML and JavaScript, but we're talking a LOT of code, understanding of objects, and limited access to Apple's APIs.

-Chris

1 Like