Tips: LaunchBar

If you come up with a shell script that does your search (via mdfind) I can help you to get the LB input and to put the results out to LB. But not these days, too much work.

Hint: The input is explained in the post above. The output should contain the paths and be JSON-compatible. (I would use the jq JSON processor. You can get it via Homebrew.)

Have you already read thru the Action documentation?

OK, here is a very simple action, but I think it does what you asked for. No bells and whistles, no pretty output!

Search JXA Scripts.lbaction.zip (10.0 KB)

It shows only scripts with "JXA" in the name (case sensitive). You can enter a search string, if you don’t enter nothing it shows you all "JXA" scripts. The search is live-updated.

The search is limited to the $HOME folder. Change this in the script if you want to search everywhere.

Many thanks, Tom.

OK. I'll take a look at the script, and see if I can figure out how to:

• Set the default folder to my "DEV" folder in my DropBox.
  • Support a Send Folder to allow search of specific folder.

@Tom, I think setting the default folder is easy enough.
But allowing for a Send Folder to use instead is not obvious to me. I looked at your script and the Spotlight Search script, but didn't see any good examples that I could use as a model. If you know of one, please let me know.

OK, here you go:

Search JXA Scripts-ver2.lbaction.zip (6.1 KB)

>>> Please read through the whole post to understand how it works.
‌

The JXA-Search action now has two “personas”:

####A. Search for a JXA script

This is exactly as with the old version: bring up the JXA-Search action, hit the Spacebar and enter your query.

B. Set search path

This is the new part.

1. Select any folder where you want to limit your search to, e.g. “Scripts”

2. Send the “Scripts” folder to the Action, as you know it from other Send actions:

3. While the “Scripts” folder is selected hit the Send key (Tab)

4. Type your abbreviation to bring up the JXA-Search action

5. Once the JXA-Search action is selected hit the Return key (not the Spacebar!)

Now the “Scripts” folder is the new search path.

‌
Now, to actually perform a search in the “Scripts” folder, bring up the JXA-Search action again and hit the Spacebar to enter your query. (Like in step A.)

You may have noticed that, to fully enjoy the action, you must make use of the Spacebar and of the Return key. If your problem with the Return key still persists, then this might be an issue!

To understand what the Return key does and what the Spacebar does, please open the script (default.scpt). You find two explanatory comments there.

Unfortunately I haven’t found a way to do the two things in one step.

But you know the ⌘B hotkey, don’t you? ⌘B brings up the recently performed actions and items (a very useful hotkey!).

That means in our case: after you have set a new search folder, just hit ⌘B and the JXA-Search action will instantly be selected again and you can enter your query by hitting the Spacebar.

Default search path:

The default search path is set to $HOME. You can change the path in the script: just replace all instances of ${HOME} with the POSIX path of your preferred default search path.

Quickly reset a custom search path to the default path:

To restore your default search path it is not necessary to send the default folder to the action.

Just type /d into the query field.

You don’t even have to close/re-open the action, just wait a second for the live search to kick in, and the path will be reset to the default! (You’ll see a message when it happened.)

As soon as you see the message you can type a new search string to search in your default path.
‌

Have fun!

… and remember, ⌘B is your friend!

1 Like

Many thanks, Tom. It was very kind of you to make these requested changes.
I'll check it out, and will definitely read/study your entire post.

If you cannot parse my sometimes very clumsy wording, just ask :wink:

To better understand the used AppleScript handlers, and to get an overview of all available handlers, don’t miss to read the AppleScript section of LB’s Developer Reference.

LB has an extended support for JavaScript. I think this is good news for you, since you are working much with JavaScript for Automation.

From the docs:

Scripts for LaunchBar Actions written in JavaScript are interpreted differently from scripts written in other scripting languages. […] LaunchBar 6 can run JavaScript code directly by leveraging Apple’s JavaScriptCore framework. This allows for even deeper integration with LaunchBar and additional possibilities to interact with LaunchBar […]. For more information on these additions, read the JavaScript Reference.

So, maybe, writing the Action with JS could open more options… I don’t know. Have a look at it, you are the JS expert.

1 Like

Have you tried the Action? (The 2nd version.)

Is it useful for your purposes or – more important – was it helpful to better understand how scripts can interact with LB’s input and output?

Yep, thanks. Sorry for the late feedback.

I'm running into a usability issue, not related specifically to your custom Action.
If I have an JXA displayDialog in the script, I can't get it work like the AppleScript equivalent. It either:

1. Doesn't show immediately, but shakes the Dock icon for LB.
  2. If it does show, it doesn't have keyboard focus.

So, until I can resolve that issue, I prefer to use other tools to launch JXA scripts (KM mostly).

OK, that’s another scope.

But, nonetheless, I hope it was (somewhat) useful for learning about the various handlers you can use to interact with LB. In fact, once you’ve understood how to do it, writing an action for LB is often (not always) easier than writing a macro for KM.

As a side note: The very convenient thing with LB is that you can real-time--edit your scripts, since they are not residing inside a XML doc. And you can use your LB Bash and Perl etc. scripts also as standalone scripts, since they just respond to the usual argv argument.

Tom, it was very useful. Thanks again.
I just got sidetracked by a practical issue.