Triggering Minecraft movement

Given my experimentation so far, this question may be very Minecraft-specific – but I'm hoping someone has ideas for further exploration.

I'm attempting to create a macro that makes my character move within Minecraft. Usually this is done by pressing W, A, S, or D (each of the four movement directions). Using Insert Text by Typing, or Type a Keystroke, these keystrokes are ignored.

Some non-movement characters work fine with Insert Text by Typing. For instance, I can Type the numbers 1 through 9 to activate items in my Hot Bar. I tried mapping the movement keys (WASD) to numbers – and those keystrokes were ignored.

If I get the game into "text input" mode – for instance, to send a message to another player, then the WASD characters are correctly Typed within the context of the message. So... it seems like Minecraft doesn't like receiving the actual movement characters from outside. But...

I also have a Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard. I created a multi-key macro within the Logitech Gaming Software, and it successfully typed movement-WASD keys that made my character move in Minecraft. So it is possible for an outside program to cause the movement I want... but I need the programmability of Keyboard Maestro (or some similar tool).

Is there something different about how the G13 types keys vs. how Keyboard Maestro does Insert Text by Typing? Are there other (lower level? higher level?) KM typing capabilities I could try? I've already experimented with all actions containing the word "Type".

I'm running MacOS 10.15.1, with Keyboard Maestro 9.0.3.

I'm attempting to create a macro that makes my character move within Minecraft. Usually this is done by pressing W, A, S, or D (each of the four movement directions). Using Insert Text by Typing, or Type a Keystroke, these keystrokes are ignored.

How do you trigger WASD keys? the keyboard combination in your computer keyboard that doesn't seem to work (not the Logitech keyboard)
Care to share your macro or a screenshot?

Thanks for the suggestion. Here's my test macro. The "a" keys seem to be ignored – I do not move left as planned. The "1" key is successfully recognized and selects HotBar slot #1.

I have an old Java program for keyboard typing and mouse actions. I'm trying to get that running again to see whether that works – for another data point.

I've done a lot of searching, but there is a sea of "Minecraft Automation" stuff that doesn't apply. I've recently gotten closer by searching for "keystrokes". I welcome suggestions for other search options.

move left left- select HotBar slot #1.kmmacros (2.1 KB)

quick fix:

and, Simulate Keystroke:

Manually pressing and releasing did the trick! Thank you so much. I've been experimenting with the delay between press and release to get the distance just right. Thanks again for your insight.

1 Like

Huh, and I actually thought it was much more complex. Honestly, that happens all the time to me. I mean, I always think that it's so complicated to do some truly simple things that even a five years old kid would do. By the way, how did you even get to this topic? I mean, why did you actually need to build a new Minecraft character and assign him the movement keys? And by the way, are you able to use your character on the minecraft skyblock servers or some other community servers? I don't truly think so.