Troubleshooting 'bonk' in KM editor

When I open the KM editor, I hear bonk sounds, like some application/extension/etc. is simulating illegal keystrokes. How do I go about troubleshooting this? Is there a utility that will tell me who is creating these keystrokes? I have several things installed, don’t really know which I’m using, but things are working as I want them to. HammerSpoon, Karabiner-Elements, I think that’s it. (These to change CapsLock into F18.)
I tried running Karabiner-EventViewer, but it didn’t show any events when the bonks were happening.

Hey John,

Open up the Keyboard Maestro Logs in the Console.app.

Editor.log
Engine.log

See “Open Logs Folder” in the Keyboard Maestro Editor Help menu.

Clear them with Cmd-K and then quit and restart the Keyboard Maestro Editor.

If KM is responsible you should see something in the logs.

It may also be worth your while to peruse this topic on the wiki:

Keyboard Maestro Wiki: Troubleshooting

-Chris

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion.
Turns out it was an error trying to sync the macros to a file on my Dropbox account, as revealed in the log per your suggestion.
2017-05-07 13:04:04 ERROR: Preference shared sync write failed
I then found this post:

I had to do some rearranging of my Dropbox recently, but the modified date of the backup file predates that, so not sure what the cause was.

The solution was to go to KM Preferences, turn the Sync option off, rename the existing Keyboard Maestro Macros.kmsync to Keyboard Maestro Macros-old.kmsync, then create a new sync file from the Keyboard Maestro preferences by turning the Sync option back on.

I should mention bonk here so others might find this post.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. Just so you know, you are not alone.
I also occasionally hear the "bonk" when launching KM editor (app). I had not observed any other adverse behavior when this happens, so I've been ignoring it so far. Most of the time I launch KM with LaunchBar (LB), so I was somewhat assuming it was related to that.

Good advice, Chris. I should have done, and will do next time, this to help ID the issue.