Turn OFF Smart CopyPaste in KM Editor

##Macro Library Turn OFF Smart CopyPaste in KM

~~~~~ VER: 1.0	2016-05-22 (Sun) ~~~~~

####DOWNLOAD:
Turn OFF Smart CopyPaste in KM.kmmacros (7.2 KB)

@peternlewis: If there is a better way to ALWAYS have the "Smart Copy/Paste" menu item turned OFF for the KM Editor, please let us know.

Author: @JMichaelTX

PURPOSE: Make sure the "Smart Copy/Paste" under Edit > Substitutions is ALWAYS turned OFF.

WHY? Because if "Smart Copy/Paste" is ON, then it will ADD a SPACE to the beginning/end of your selection when you copy/paste. So if you copy a Variable name, for example, from one Action to another, it will end up causing an error due to the extra SPACE.

WHAT IT DOES:

(1) Macro is triggered when the KM Editor is either Launched, or Activated
(2) It then PAUSES until the cursor is in a text box, so that the "Smart Copy/Paste" menu setting is ENABLED.
(3) IF this menu setting is checked ("marked"), then it clicks on the menu setting, causing it to be UNCHECKED, and thus NOT active.

REQUIRES:
(1) Keyboard Maestro Ver 7.0.3+
(2) Yosemite (10.10.5)+

1 Like

I don’t think this is going to work.

Edit ➤ Substitutions ➤ Smart Copy/Paste is per-field, and fields come and go. Plus it is disabled unless you are in a field, so it wont work when you launch Keyboard Maestro (maybe it’ll get the macro name field, and maybe that will stick, but most other fields are created and destroyed on the fly).

Well, I did ask:

That is NOT the behavior I am observing in Keyboard Maestro 7.1.1 (7.1.1) on OSX 10.10.5.

If you noticed, the macro PAUSES until the "Smart Copy/Paste" menu item is enabled, so it is waiting for the cursor to be in a TEXT field.

I'm finding that once it is turned OFF for any text field, then it is off for all of them.

I guess the real question is why do you even offer this feature? It seems to cause more trouble that it helps. Apparently it can be set by the developer since some apps have it, and some don't. I can't image a use case for needing "Smart Copy/Paste" in the KM Editor.

For example, it is NOT in TextWrangler, Quiver, or Dash, just to name a few.

TextWrangler Screenshot:

@peternlewis, can you please add a setting for Smart Copy/Paste to the KM Preferences, like is done in TextEdit:

Screenshot of TextEdit 1.10 (319) on OSX 10.10.5

3 Likes

Noted.

1 Like