Type Date and Time

This is probably too simple to bother to post. But I figure it's useful.

I wanted something that, when I am on with customer service being forever handed off from one service support person to the other, I can quickly mark the date and time.

Obviously the format can be adjusted by digging into the various KM commands. But for me, this painted the picture I needed.

datetime.kmmacros (3.7 KB)

Usage
Type "datetime" and you get the date and time, in a format as follows:
Sunday, October 5, 2014 9:47:01 AM

2 Likes

Very useful, thanks for posting.

No macro is too simply to bother posting - it is often the most simple macros that are used the most. Heck, my most used macro is probably a trivial macro that just does "Mark as Read, Transfer to Mailbox 'Dealt With'". Each macro, especially simple ones, gives people new ideas of what they can do.

1 Like

Yeah, this one was so easy, but just worked so consistently, and it was deemed by me as even more useful as my level of frustration with customer service was at a very high level.

Knowing more specifics of how people use the app would certainly be useful. But the act of exporting, etc. is arguably old-school and not convenient. Especially since your problem is already solved at that point.

Maybe more macros would be posted if the process were more automated - e.g., if you are in the macro on the editor, there is a publish button that would simply place the macro on the server. During the process the submitter could add some text explaining what it is.

As for downloading, the act of downloading from the server is not as big a problem, pretty much click the link and you are done because the extension is already associated with the app.

Hmmm… guess this all could be easily solved with a KM macro!

Yes, some way to more easily share macros would definitely be good, and is on the list todo (its a very long list though!)

1 Like

Exactly! heh!!

Thanks for the Macro... I need that one because I do the same thing and have been using Typinator for it.

Thanks for posting, nice to see how you do this in Keyboard Maestro. I use this multiple times a day with TextExpander (using %ShortTime%).

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 9:02 AM

Here's a form I made about over a decade ago for this purpose and has helped for call backs many times.
Technical_Support_Phone_Calls.doc.zip (7.7 KB)

Hey Ed,

Not at all. Even old pros learn new tricks from some of these.

One thing I will mention is that those text-tokens need not be put into variables for use:

(Unless you're going to reuse them again later.)

-Chris

OK, Thanks for the insight Chris - I’m just happy when I throw together
something that actually works. I use this all the time. Great for legal
correspondence.

Hey Ed,

It's very satisfying to build something that works. :smile:

If you use this macro all the time you might want to consider giving it a shorter mnemonic like dt; for date-time. I use a space as my trailing character for many text expansions, but I use the semi-colon for things that might be used as actual abbreviation text.

dt; == date-short`
OR
ddt<space> == date-time - dd would be my mnemonic for date.
dl; == date-long
ds; == date-short

Some people might put the punctuation character at the front of the abbreviation — I do with certain things.

I like abbreviations to be as short as possible while being mnemonic and easy to remember.

Right now I have about 2000 abbreviation/text-expansion pairs in Typinator. The ones I use regularly are well inculcated into my muscle-memory, but I depend upon Typinator's excellent search for the ones I forget or seldom use.

-Chris

I have three date macros I use all the time.
20150509 <<this is the short date format and I use it when naming files and I want my date preserved
Sat 09May2015 14:43:30 This is the long date format which I use when taking notes.

Use text insert and %ICUDateTime%EEE ddMMMyyyy HH:mm:ss%
or %ICUDateTime%yyyyMMdd HHmmss%
or %ICUDateTime%yyyyMMdd % as required.

Incidentally use the escape sequence zx for my text macros
so for the above I have zxd? where ? is s for short, l for long and f for file.
As you are already typing into a text field, this saves remembering hotkeys.
For my name I type zxjl Jonathon Lewys etc

Ha… Well, Saturday, date-time (no hyphen actually) is one of the only
macros I have that make sense to me and I can remember! I do a lot with
regard to kicking off macros utilizing Alfred. I bring up Alfred and type
in the key phrase and it kicks off the macro very nicely. For other things
I use very, very often (e.g., screen positioning) I have hot keys assigned.

Also I can type fast so this particular one is not too bad.