Typing Underscores with Spacebar while capslock is held down

Hi there,

I have been struggling to make a macro that would make a big difference in my life. When writing SQL I am constantly typing words separated by underscores like database_name_one. Using Auto Hot Key I built a macro that would turn the spacebar into an underscore only while the caps lock key is held down. What I could do was hold the spacebar down the whole time while typing and each hit of the space bar would lean to one underscore. I have tried a few things. The closest I got was with a trigger of caps lock and an if then where the space bar was down. I also tried a hotkey trigger of shift-space, but it would still maintain the shift functionality at the same time plus I want to be able to use shift to type multiple words in uppercase. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks,

-Carter

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like this should work:

Another option, though perhaps too different for muscle memory, would be to have two spaces become an underscore. The visually blank string field shown here is actually two spaces.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response. I like the idea of the double-tap of the space bar, I used it at work today and it worked quite well. And you are right, I am kind of holding on to muscle memory. The only reason why the top option wouldn't work for me is that the text would be in uppercase eg DATABASE_NAME when I am looking for database_name. If you have any thoughts that would be appreciated, but otherwise thanks a bunch of the help!

-Carter

The top option wouldn't affect the database name. The name would be typed as desired, and only when you type Shift-Space would an underscore be inserted instead of a space.