Unable to Enter Hot Key Trigger

For some reason I am now unable to enter a hot key combination. The box for it is highlighted, but when I type in the key combination, nothing happens.

Hey @gbol,

Quit and restart the Keyboard Maestro Editor.

If that doesn't work quit and restart the Keyboard Maestro Engine (menu item in the KM-Editor.)

If that doesn't work then reboot your system.

If none of that works then report back.

-Chris

No luck. Still highlights, but when I type in the keystrokes, nothing happens.

This sounds like a lack of accessibility permissions, which currently is almost universally caused by “upgrading” to Mojave.

You will have to ensure you enable Accessibility for both Keyboard Maestro and Keyboard Maestro Engine. If you have any troubles with accessibility (eg typing keystrokes, selecting menus, copy/paste, etc), you need to toggle the accessibility permissions (System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Privacy, Accessibility) for Keyboard Maestro and Keyboard Maestro Engine off and then on again.

Toggling the permissions did the trick. I really appreciate the support on this site. Very rare these days.

1 Like

I have the same problem on my MacBook Air (iMac is fine). I've followed Peter's instructions by enabling Keyboard Maestro and Keyboard Maestro Engine in the Security and Privacy System Preferences pane. I've followed that up by shutting down the machine and then starting it up again. I've also checked to make sure Keyboard Maestro is licensed. But still I can enter nothing into either the hot key box or the simulate keystroke box of the macro I'm trying to create. Any more ideas on how to resolve this?

Hi Peter, your solution DID finally work for me. After all else had repeatedly failed. Thanks!!