Use variables in macro names?

Hi all,

I use conflict palettes a lot to help me tag pictures in Finder or PathFinder. I press the tagging hotkey and then get a couple of options. Some of these tags are dynamic and are generated from the value of the clipboard. E.g. “travel.%Variable%City%”. So I copy the name of the city into the clipboard and start tagging.

The macro name and what I see in the conflict palette is “TC: Tag as travel.city”, but it would be so much easier if I could use the variable in the macro title and it displayed “TC: Tag as travel.nyc” (or whatever the value of that variable is at the moment.

Is there a way to do this? If not, does anyone have an idea for a workaround, so that I could see what the city name is, before I actually tag the photo?

Thanks,
Julian

I don't believe there is any way to use variables in macro names, so you would need a different approach. One way you could do this would be to list all of your tags in a prompt and use your selection as-is for the tag; another would be to trigger your existing tagging macro(s) using the Execute a Macro action. Here's an example of the former solution that uses KM8's new Prompt With List action:

[Example] Set Tags.kmmacros (3.2 KB)

3 Likes

Oh, this looks interesting. I had no idea about this new feature. Thank you.

2 Likes