Using Calendar Event With Specific Title as a Trigger

Is it possible to use a calendar event, with a specific name, as trigger.

In other words I'd like to setup macros that are triggered only when speciifc events happens, such as:

Calendar event name is "Get Pizza" do these actions
Calendar event name is "Meet Bob" do these actions

Thanks for any and all help.

Hey Adrian,

I don't think you've sufficiently described the scope of your problem.

-Chris

So, are you looking for something like an Apple Mail Rule, that is triggered when a Calendar item is saved with a specific name?

If so, I don't believe Apple Calendar supports Rules like Mail does. A quick search did not turn up anything, and I don't see any Rules menu or settings in Calendar.

However, what you might be able to do is to use KM Macros with AppleScript to enter a new Calendar item, and then it could test for the keywords of interest, and take whatever action you'd like.

Please provide more details on exactly what you would like to automate, so we can be of more help.

Thanks guys for the help. Let me clarify:

This is for events I already have in my calendar. I'm not looking to create a calendar event. I'm looking for a way to monitor my calendar for specific events, and when they occur, open a URL.

• Let's say it's 11:50am and i have an event already scheduled for 12pm that's called "Get Pizza".

• At 12pm the "Get Pizza" trigger should fire (as it's monitoring for any events in my calendar called "Get Pizza"), with the action "Set Google Chrome URL" to "www.pizzahut.com".

Hopefully this is clearer and thanks in advance!

Hey Adrian,

Okay. There's no way to continuously monitor your calendar, but you can set a periodic trigger to scan it for events.

Unfortunately there's not a good API from Apple for doing this, but Shane Stanley has written a couple of libraries that make more things possible.

https://www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/apps/Script_Libs.html#CalendarLib

See this library.

I believe it has a dependency on Shane's Bridge Plus library as well.

I haven't used them, so if you need help you should ask on the Script Debugger Forum.

Shane hangs out there and is available for direct questions.

-Chris

Very helpful - thanks Chris! Will investigate

@adamg, good luck. As far as I can tell, the Apple Calendar is extremely limited, as compared with something like MS Outlook Calendar. I don't even see a way to get a reminder for when a Calendar event is about to occur. Even the iOS Calendar is better!!!

If it were me, I'd look for a better Calendar tool.

Here's an idea:

• Use Apple Reminders instead of Calendar.
  • Put the URL in the Reminder notes
  • When the reminder pops up, just click the link

Something like this:

The above is both the display when you enter the reminder, and what is displayed when the Reminder notification pops up, and you click on it.

Simple, easy to implement.

Also, Reminders are scriptable.

1 Like

I'm using BusyCal as an alternative to the  calendar @adamg. I've created a macro that allows me to schedule my KM URL's there quickly and effectively.
The KM macros then open automatically at the due date and time.

In this example the browser window of Ghostnote 2 opens...

2018_12_06%20Support%20%25filltop%25

1 Like

Really digging this tip, thanks!

1 Like

Can I use OmniFocus instead? I only need a large size and colourful notification with text and date for each events/tasks I have set.

Unfortunately I can't help you there @shirazigs, because I don't use OmniFocus myself.

Nice! Thanks for quick respond!! Do you think BusyCal can help me to have HTML notifications?

With HTML I do not know myself from @shirazigs. Maybe someone else in the forum can help you.

The possibility to show the overview of your events and tasks via the BusyCal Mini with a shortcut is not enough?
Even the own BusyCal message center does not help you?

Besides BusyCal I use the App Calendar C366 for macOS and iOS for displaying and scheduling.

Here is an example, how I display my events etc. in different modes quickly:

C3661

The advantage of Calendar 366 for me is that I can position the display window individually and thus have a clear display in the apps that do not contain a quick appointment overview. Like here in Apple Mail:

https://share.getcloudapp.com/YEude7oJ

Very nice. Thanks, Appleianer. I downloaded the two applications. I could use Calendar C366. It is so useful. I installed BusyCal, I couldn't work with it. More than 10 times I put my password and it said my password is wrong. It needs a second password. I'm still working on it.
I love the videos you make. :heart_eyes: They are so helpful and attractive.
Thank you

1 Like

Please excuse @shirazigs that I only answer now.

Did you create a user password for BusyCal in your Apple iD account and it can't be activated in BusyCal?

If you want to have my Calendar 366 KM pallets, please contact me.

Dear aplleianer,
How are you getting on ?
I would like to get your Calendar 366 Keyboard Maestro pallets.
I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.
Thx and regards, WAKAMATSU Kunimitsu (boehmflute)

1 Like

Thanks for your inquiry @boehmflute :+1:

I was in hospital and in rehabilitation for several weeks because I got a new knee joint.
It all went very well, but I can only sit for a maximum of 15 to 20 minutes at a time and I am not very active on my Macs.

So slowly it is getting better again.

Can you please tell me if you're using a MacBook Pro or an iMac, because the settings in the Macro Palette are designed for them.
Do you also want to have the Calendar 366 macros for Apple Mail, DEVONthink and Drafts 5?

Dear Appleianer,

I pray for your recovery.

Please be careful about your health.

If health allows, I would like to have Calendar 366 Keyboard Maestro pallets.

I would like to have for DEVONthink, too.

DEVONthink is my favorite Application.

I found your massage under

[keine einzelnen Seiten in einem PDF löschen] in DEVONthink User Forum, today.

I saw your YouTube VIDEO about Calendar 366 ii and Fantasical, too.

I run OSX10.12.6 Sierra with my Mac mini late 2014.

2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB memory, 1600 MHz DDR3.

Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics

Please take an easy pace !

We classical musician say “ Piano, Piano !! “

This mean just like a "Take it easy! yourself ".

RSVP would be nice !

I feel really sorry to burden you with Macro pallet.

Ich wünsche Ihnen eine baldige Genesung.

Thx and regards, WAKAMATSU kunimits (boehmflute)

P.S

I need to learn about Drafts 5, I do not know this application, at all.

I can use Mojave with another HDD.

I use a very simple solution for that:

1. Go to the KM macro you want to trigger on event.

2. Go to: File > Export > Export macro as trigger file and save this file somewhere.

3. Then on your Calendar Event:
    Set Alert > Custom > Open File and choose that file.

2 Likes