Using text expander for code completion

I want a text expander feature like an intellisense that I could use where I can continually type until I pick the correct macro that I want.

In Script Editor, I use a lot of user libraries where I can't remember the exact handler name. So, I thought I'd create some text expander macros with the same trigger.

For example, when I type: "kb's<space>", I get a list of text expander macros.

• kb's pressCommandKey()
  • kb's pressKey()
  • kb's isDvorak()

I'd need to press the correct letter to trigger the specific macro in the list. This works fine, but it can be better.

What if there's a feature where I can continuously type the first few letters I can remember and narrow the list on that instead of triggering via a hotkey? So when I type "kb's<space>p" the macro list presented to me would be reduced to just:

• kb's pressCommandKey()
  • kb's pressKey()

Instead of the macro list getting dismissed because the "p" is not among the assigned selection keys to the macro list.
It feels like it's a different app or something that can be implemented in Keyboard Maestro.

There's already a KM action that does this (if I understand your post correctly). It's the Trigger Macro by Name action.

Try this for size:
Download Macro(s): Test Run Macro By Name.kmmacros (1.2 KB)

Macro-Image

Keyboard Maestro Export

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.
System Information
  • macOS 10.15.7
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2

My post wasn't clear :sweat_smile: I intented to use the code completion for another app that doesn't have IntelliSense, and I think the current keyboard maestro solution is already great. I just need to adapt my way of working to use the hotkey presented.