Want an Image Window to Always Appear on Top

Hi,
I am opening an image in Mac. I want to make it stay always on top and all the background tasks I can do when it on top. Like I will open the word document and will start typing and editing it even this image window should be on top.

Is there is any possibility in Keyboard Maestro to making an image or a window always on top of all the windows?

It looks like this app will do the keep-on-top bit. KM can't do that directly.

As far as interacting with other apps behind the keep-on-top image, just make sure to target the specific app with an Activate action or one of the other methods KM has to perform actions on specific apps or windows.

I assume that you just want to display Image on top in a window (no edit, not using any image app)

You can make use of Display Clipboard Action to show the image in resizable Clipboard window that always float on top.

You can select the image from finder if it is the front app, or it open a file dialog otherwise.

[EXP] Display Image on top.kmmacros (5.5 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for suggesting this AFloat app

Thank you @macdevign_mac

This KM script is good.
How can there be an option to select a fixed image in the script?
Whenever we run macros using hotkey it should show that window with our given image.

This is modified to open image file if mouse cursor is at top of screen when hotkey trigger. Otherwise it will just display the recent opened image.

[EXP] Display Image on top_v2.kmmacros (6.9 KB)

1 Like

Thanks @macdevign_mac for the help
This is much better.

Can we close that opened clipboard window using any hotkey without click cross[x] button?
We tried to change image of Clipboard window but it's showing the previous one so could you please guide us how we can Change image.

I do not recommend using any SIMBL based mods on the macOS for security and stability reasons. It grieves me, because people have done some cool stuff with it over the years – but I've seen too many problems with it to want to touch it ever again.

-Chris

Hey Aakash,

The Escape key works, but only if the display window is frontmost.

But you can make another macro with any hotkey and use the following AppleScript:

tell application "System Events"
   tell application process "Keyboard Maestro Engine"
      tell window "Clipboard Entry"
         tell (first button whose role description is "close button")
            perform action "AXPress"
         end tell
      end tell
   end tell
end tell

-Chris

Using this macro for first time it asked for select image and that image showing on the Clipboard window but I want to change the image of Clipboard or want to give functionality inside this macro script for choosing an image.
Is there is a way to do this?

Can you share what you have so far?

I am using this macro
[EXP] Display Image on top_v2.kmmacros (6.9 KB)

It allow me to select image for very first time but there is no way to change it.
When running macro it comes it's last position but I want it should be on center everytime and there is a way to change image in this macro script.
Is this clear to you what I want and any possibility to achieve this?

Since this is macro, you can close the window , reselect file by trigger the shortcut key when mouse cursor is at screen top. Although more can be done to make it seamless, but I think that there is no point in making the macro to do more than it should.

there is no reliable way to center the clipboard window since it is not really a "real" window. (Image detection actions may help but it is not foolproof way to do it)

When I trigger macro again using the shortcut key it comes up with an old image. I restarted my system but not asked to reselect an image file when running macro again.

To use a image file: Position the mouse cursor at top of screen and trigger the shortcut key. The following shown in the IF-Else condition is where MOUSEY() < 10 imply mouse is at top of screen.

To show the image file: Position the mouse cursor anywhere except the top of screen to show the image when trigger the shortcut key.

The reason why I doing this is I trying to reuse the same shortcut key to assign and view image, hence the top of screen is where you select the image.

1 Like

as @macdevign_mac just replied, you need to place yourmouse cursor at the top of your screen.

If you don't need that, you can remove the "If MouseY () < 10" action, and only use the actions inside it, ie:

Thanks
one more last question can we resize the clipboard window to bigger size?

Hey Aakash,

No. And yes.

Keyboard Maestro cannot do it natively, but AppleScript UI-Scripting can.

-Chris

Open Keyboard Maestro Clipboard Window and Set Its Position and Size v1.00.kmmacros (8.0 KB)