Weird Behavior for "Apply Styles to Named Clipboard"

I am seeing some weird behavior with a simple macro that used to work great.

The macro takes a selection, puts it into a clipboard called "temporary," applies the "superscript" style to it a pastes it. This used to work great.

However, now there's a problem. When I try to use this macro in both Microsoft Word and Google Docs, it does two things:

1. First, it changes the font size of the text, even though font is set to "unchanged". Note that if I just copy the clipboard and then paste it, text does not change. Text size only changes if I run the "Apply style to named clipboard" command, even if all the items are set to "unchanged." Interestingly, in word, the font size is bigger (11 -> 14.5) but in google docs, the font becomes smaller (11 -> 9). Why the different behavior?

2. The "apply style to Named Clipboard" command adds an extra space at the end of the clipboard. When this pastes into Word of Google Docs, there is a space after the pasted text.

These problems didn't used to happen. Can anyone help?

Hey Yevgeny,

Weird happenings on computers generally have some logical cause.

What if anything has changed on your system?

• Changed macro?
  • Changed version of macOS?
  • Newly added or updated software?
  • Etcetera.

-Chris

I'm struggling with this and getting the same behaviour as brudno...

The text is definitely being copied and pasted but the styles aren't being applied.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Following on from the above, it appears that the problem is with Apple's Pages - styles can only be applied to entire paragraphs.

Is there a way to add Paragraph Breaks (returns) either side of copied text - to enable it to have the style applied - and then remove those breaks prior to it being pasted?

1 Like

I can confirm that the apply styles changes the font in other apps as well. Matter of fact, it appears to change the font regardless of what app is frontmost. See my demo gif using Apple Notes below.

Screen Recording (click to expand/collapse)

Screen Recording 2024-01-01 at 15.38.39