What Tags Do You Want?

###What Tags Do You Want?

We have just implemented tagging in the Keyboard Maestro forum.
See New Forum Feature: TAGS

If you know of broad categories that you think should be tagged (like specific apps, business use, business type, common processes, etc), please post your suggested tags here.

To see the current list of tags, see All Tags Page

Keep in mind that each Topic can have more than one tag, so there’s more flexibility in using simple tags rather than compound tags. For example, it is better to have “mail” and “applescript” rather than “mail-applescript”.

We want tags to be an effective tool to help you find the topic of direct interest to you. To do that, we need to keep the tag list relatively small, just the number needed to capture the broad categories of interest. It’s a hard balance to strike, but we will try with your help.

Thanks for your use of Keyboard Maestro, and in helping us develop the tagging system for this forum.

1 Like

swift

(Here, here and here.)

bash (or shell)

1, 2

regex or regular-expression

1, 2

clipboard

1, 2, 3, 4

finder
web-browser
email
beginner
trigger
preferences (or settings)
applescript-obj-c (or ASOC)
date-time
formula
mouse
window
string (or text)

gui
1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

The Goal is "just" :relaxed: to select (quite, is sufficient) unambiguously a given forum entry with a minimal number of tags in lexicon (dimensionality strongly correlated to orthogonality).

What a challenge ;-), but with help of each user and together...

-- Alain

alain, thanks for the suggestion.

What do you think about using "ui" instead of "gui" ?
Most of the time I see people refer to "UI". We used to use "GUI" back in the DOS / Windows / Mac days, but I think most today equate "UI" with "GUI".

From wikipedia:

With the increased use of personal computers and the relative decline in societal awareness of heavy machinery, the term user interface is generally assumed to mean the graphical user interface, while industrial control panel and machinery control design discussions more commonly refer to human-machine interfaces.

@Tom, thanks for all of your suggestions.

I’ve already created most of them, and the rest are under discussion.

It’s a challenge trying to strike a good balance between keeping the tag list relatively small and capturing the broad categories of interest of many users.

Give us a few days, and if you don’t see a tag you think is needed, please post the tags and your thoughts on why it is needed.

@JMichaelTX, ui is simpler and perfect (UI Browser, UIElementInspector, etc.)
Thanks,
–Alain

1 Like

@JMichaelTX date-time which appears in the global list of tags, don’t appear in the list of proposed tags when a new topic is created…
– Alain

Alain, the tag is actually "date_time" with an underscore rather than a dash.

I just added this tag to a topic, and it worked fine for me.
Please let me know if it is not working for you.

@JMichaelTX you are right the tag is "date_time".

But the point is this tag doesn't appear in the list

even in scrolling :wink:

-- Alain

That's becuse the topic already has the tag date_time assigned to it:

Note at the bottom of your screenshot, it appears with an X so you can remove it, if you wish:

I see only a small subset in the list:

jxa
safari
taskpaper
evernote
text-expansion
chrome
javascript
variables
forum
applescript

That’s all.

And it seems not to be related to a tag already being assigned. I just deleted a wrong html-prompt tag from one of my posts, and it did not appear in the list afterwards.

Tom, did you notice that the all tags list is scrollable?

You can also see all tag from the Forum Menu:

As stated at the top of this topic:

To see the current list of tags, see All Tags Page

Yes, but I’m speaking of the list in the edit console. It’s scrollable, yes, but as you can tell from the length of the scroll handle there isn’t much to scroll. Just the tags I listed above.

The All Tags list seems to be complete. But I don’t see a way to access the All Tags list for editing.(?)

[Edit:] Just to be sure I deleted my browser cache. But this didn’t change nothing.

[Edit II:] Tried it in another browser (FF) and it‘s the same.

OK, I understand what you mean now. It seems to be limiting the scrolling list to the top 10 tags. However, if you start typing the name of a tag, it will still find it.

I'll have to check to see if we can increase the number of tags shown in the list.

Yeah, but for this I have to find it in my (lousily tagged) brain first :face_with_head_bandage:

@Tom, OK, the tag list shows all tags now (but you need to scroll) when creating or editing a topic. Check it out and let me know if you see any issues.

1 Like