When string typed blockade all keyboard shortcuts for that app!

Hi,

I love the way to setup my shortcuts via string. Because I need 40 to 80 in my DAW I have no more normal shortcuts with modifier. My problem is, that many keys are already used by the DAW and when I write my string, a lot funny and unfunny things happens to my project. Can I tell my DAW not to listen to it’s normal keystrokes for the time I put in a string? This should not take too much time or resources as I want to save time with KM - and not loose it :wink:
Example: I want to open on of my special EQs called “freiraum”. if I choose the string “frei” or “raum” or “freiraum”, my DAW reacts on “a” (cut clip start position), on “e” toogle zoom - and so on. The macro for itself is working great :slight_smile:
I can’t and I don’t want to delete this important DAW keyboard shortcuts. Any idea?

BTW: as I am still on mavericks I use 6.4.8, so maybe I can’t use all the new features. But I don’t hesitate to make larger workarounds or more complicate things :wink:

Thanks!

Would it be a solution, to use
tell application “System Events” to keystroke “freiraum”

(I found while searching this forum).

Generally you should not use Typed String triggers when you are not in a text input context (eg a text document or text field).

There are a number of ways to let you handle lots of macros without having to remember a bunch of different keys. The easiest and most Keyboard Maestro-like is to just give all the macros the same hot key and let Keyboard Maestro display a palette and you can press various keys to select the desired macros.

Alternatively, you can create a macro group and have it activate for one action when you press a hot key, and then put your macros in there.

See the wiki How do I use a multiple keystroke trigger? entry.

That’s a good idea, I’ll read through your link and try that.
Some question to this:

1. When I set up 20 macros on one keystroke, I’ll got a palette but can only choose from 1 to 0 with keys. 10-20 is for KM like 1-0. How can I manage that?
  2. Now I used the other principle: I set up macros labeled with the category name. When I try, the palette shows up, I choose my category name - and no I don’t know how to go further. I thought I tell the category to hit a keystroke, but nothing happens. Here my example:
    ctrl+alt+cmd+space opens up palette with “Rev” and “Del”. When select “Rev” it hit keystroke R, if “Del” it hit keystroke D.
    I set up each 20 macros only on R and only on D. I thought now I’ll get a second palette, but nothing happens?
  3. As I want to use this only within an App, is the way via “Global Macros” not the wrong one (as I read in your link)?

Just btw:
What I really enjoy on “my method” is that when I now, what I need, it makes so much fun to just write it down - instead of having strange shortkeys. E.g. oh, I need a delay, I’ll take Echoboy -> I write “echo” and get it. wow, stunning. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your answer and for your help, man!

There are highlighted letters in the display, you can choose them.

That's right.

When you press "R", all the macros not starting with "R" will be removed, and then you can press the next appropriate letter.

Correct, you'll want to limit any macro group to the appropriate application.

You could use the Trigger Macro by Name action. With version 8, you can limit it to just a specific set of macros, and with it's machine learning, it'll figure out what you want pretty quick.

Hi Peter,

thanks for your answer. I made a screenshot to be more clear, what's going wrong here. It's just a wrong way I think about to program KM right.

This is my test macro with my idea: I press a shortcut, get the palette with D and R, pressing key R and get the palette containing the ctrl+alt+cmd+R key, because I have many of them so they should get screened.
Actually, as you can see, I get the first palette, but when I hit R - the second does not appear. I tried with pause, but is not useful.

Simulating a keystroke in Keyboard Maestro will simulate the keystroke, it may or may not trigger the hot key, and which happens is uncertain.

Use the Trigger Macro by Hot Key action instead.

Hi Peter,

thank you first for your quick reply, I appreciate that.
Can it be that as I am still on Mavericks in the V6 there's no such command "Trigger Macro by Hot Key"? Because I could not find it.
Just to not make you extra work answering me, this picture shows what I wrote before:

Yes, Trigger Macro by Hot Key is new in v8.

There is no reliable method to have Keyboard Maestro trigger a Conflict Palette before that.

You could instead create a macro group, and display it as a macro palette. And have your macros activate the macro group for one action. And use hot keys to trigger the macros. I think all of that functionality was in v6, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, it’s working. I can open a main palette -> sub-palette -> sub-sub-palette.
But I always have to put in an action for “activate this group” and “deactivate this group” to not have double/triple whatever keystrokes.

Do you know, if I could upgrade to V8 with Mavericks? I mean, maybe I don’t need every action, but right now my KM group window is so full and it’s get bigger and bigger. And a) I know I am on the right way for my workflow (thanks to you) b) I want to have it smarter and more for a copy&paste stuff as most task are similar.

According to this page KM7 and KM8 require 10.10+ (Yosemite).

Get yourself an XKEYS programmable keypad. I’m using the 24 key version but you can get 80 keys on a larger pad. THis gives you 24 or 80 keys totally different from any keyboard shortcut. Works just fine with Keyboard Maestro.

1 Like