Kirby, many thanks for your offer to help. I'm sure your experience will be very valuable.
I don't even have an outline of the FAQ, much less a draft. So, I'm looking for any input/feedback from anyone, like you, that has experience in designing solutions to click on various links, buttons, images on a web page.
If you want to get an idea of the questions people are asking, do two forum searches:
- "click link"
- "click button"
- this may yield some false positives about clicking app buttons
So, thinking out loud, I'd like to develop a wiki article that would:
- Guide users in how to inspect an web page and then design a solution for clicking on whatever they want.
- I think there are probably existing web articles, books, etc that already address this.
- But just providing a curated list for users would be a big help
- Of course, anyone that want to write their own is more than welcome.
- Provide as many good examples as we can.
As I see it (and everyone feel free to correct me), there are about three basic approaches for this:
- Using the native KM actions, like Click Google Browser Link action (KM Wiki)
- Just having a good list, and which Actions to try first would be a big help.
- Two main sub-sections here: Using DOM functions; Using xPath
- Parse the source using tools like RegEx, XML, etc
Again, this is just off the top of my head, so everyone feel free to jump in with corrections/suggestions.
I hope this helps you, and everyone, have a better idea of what is needed.