Wiki Update: Web Server and Public Web Trigger

Submitted for your review, comment, and/or revision, the following Wiki articles have been updated:

Web Server

Public Web Trigger

Primary Changes:

1. A complete rewrite of both
  2. Add icons, screenshots, and examples
  3. Try to make it clearer how to use these

I still have a number of questions on Web Server, all marked by the FIXME emoji.
But the Web Server setup fields/table need careful review/confirmation/correction.

1 Like

Hi @JMichaelTX, thank you for your response to my query. Using your wiki guide to Web Server, I was able to trigger a macro from my safari browser in about ten minutes. So the wiki works, thank you!

Perhaps a useful point of clarification might be that unless something is explicitly public, it seems to be categorised as protected, which was not initially clear to me. Also I'm not totally clear on what the "value" field is for, but this might be because I am still learning KM- I imagine some macros receive a variable as they are being executed but I'm not sure. Thank you for you hard work @JMichaelTX

p.s. your outstanding questions marked in the wiki don't bother me too much as I'm not at a level where I can imagine myself trying to use them yet.

I have resolved the FIXMEs, plus adjusted most of it to use the https port or include examples of both.

Without a username or password, you just can't login, so you cannot trigger other active macros, but you can still use Public Web triggered macros.

The Clipboard History Switcher can send clipboards to another Mac, either to replace the system clipboard or to become the immediate past clipboard (ie, easily accessible in the recipient clipboard switcher or from the Paste menu in the status menu. This is sort of like Apple’s “Continuity”. Except it is manual and works :wink:

Thanks.

I adjusted your example to make it clearer about 4490 vs 4491.

Note I get an error with the 4491 connection in Safari.
I also get this with 4490 when I click on login.

How can this be resolved?

You need to tell Safari to accept the certificate. Each Keyboard Maestro instance has its own self-signed certificate. Obviously there is no way for a Keyboard Maestro instance running on your Mac to “prove” it is a legitimate authority for your Mac (unlike a normal web site which can). So Safari considers it to be illegitimate and you need to tell Safari to accept it (click the oddly named Show Details and then tell Safari to accept it, which probably requires an authentication, possibly by an admin user).

Yes, the authenticated web site must be done via https, since Keyboard Maestro will not accept a password sent across an unsecured connection.

Once done you will have more security than otherwise.

How to I do that? I don't seen any options to do so. When I click on "Show Details", I get:

There should be an option to visit the web site anyway, and then it will require your authentication to trust the certificate.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to make this easier as there is no way to have a properly signed certificate for a non-public site (like a typical Mac).

This is part of the reason I moved to using the remote triggers, though I still wish this process was easier.