Wish list or alternative solution: insert URL in comment action

Hello,
I copy paste URLs into comment actions at the beginning of macros, but the pasted URLs do not create active links (probably a text files).
Is there any other way I could insert a comment with an active URL ?
Perhaps something to consider for a future version of KBM?
I use it quite a lot to reference where a macro is discussed in the KBM forum for example, or perhaps a web site where a specific apple script is discussed.
thank you !

I agree, that would be very useful.
In fact, it used to work, the KM Comment Action would auto-create an active live hyperlink when you pasted a URL.
But in one of the recent KM updates it stopped working.

@peternlewis, can you please restore this feature?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Keyboard Maestro has never directly supported clickable links in the fields.

They would be supported only if the system supported them in the text field and/or styled text and/or attributed strings.

And they might vary depending on how you copied the link in the first place.

I will look and see if there are some settings I can tweak to make links in comments clickable. Maybe the system changed to require opt in somewhere along the lines.

1 Like

@peternlewis @JMichaelTX thank you both !

Hi @ronald, I created the links via the context menu:

2019_03_21_Support_1

macOS Mojave 10.14.3
Keyboard Maestro 8.2.4

2 Likes

thank you for your Post.
I do not have make link in my context menu. Perhaps because I have Sierra ? Or did you find a way to add it to the context menu ?

Hey @ronald,

In your post, you've also selected the space in front of the URL, but the "Make Link" context menu option only appears if the entire selected text is a valid URL. Try having nothing but the URL selected and see if that doesn't make the option appear.

Leading Space and URL Selected
56%20PM

Only URL Selected
57%20PM

3 Likes

It used to work, I think immediately or shortly after you make the Comment Action be rich text.

Thanks. That would be great.

1 Like

You are obviously right. How embarrassing ! thanks very much

@peternlewis @appleianer @JMichaelTX @gglick
Appleianer seems to have the solution. Works perfectly.

1 Like

Almost perfect. Who can write a macro to convert the URL on the Clipboard to rich text link and paste?

2 Likes

yes, you are right

This is also not yet perfect @JMichaelTX & @ronald, but because of lacking script knowledge, I tried it only with KM :wink:

Comment:Link.kmmacros (33,6 KB)
39%20AM

2019_03_22_Support_2

1 Like

For the next version I have switched on the setting for “automatically detect links” for the text field in the Comment, Insert Styled Text by Pasting, and Display Text actions.

Just as @appleianer suggests, you can select the link and control click on it and Make Link, and if it is a link (or automatically detected as a link), you can choose Remove Link to make it plain again.

3 Likes

thank you Peter !

thank you for the video and macro.
the image recognition does not work. probably too small

Please recreate the screenshot on your Mac @ronald. It should work for you then.

1 Like

OK. thank you. I understand.

1 Like

Hey Peter,

If you can do this can you turn OFF smart copy/cut/paste globally?

I and many others are weary of having dumb smart copy/cut/paste mangle paths and such when pasting variable names, etc.

-Chris

2 Likes

Isn't that a system preference? In the Keyboard, Text system preferences?