Any Issues for Upgrading to Yosemite?

OK, I know, this is KM forum, not a Apple Mac forum.
But I trust the opinions posted here.

So I need to upgrade to Yosemite to upgrade to KM7.

Any issues I should be aware of before I pull the trigger to upgrade?
In particular, I do a KM sync with multiple Macs using DropBox.
What is the best way to handle this as I upgrade to Yosemite and KM7 on a sequential basis, maybe days apart for each Mac?

I would especially love to hear from @ccstone, @ComplexPoint, and @peternlewis, but I welcome the feedback from anyone who has been through this process.

Many thanks to all of you.

Hey Michael,

I just upgraded to Yosemite myself a few days ago.

I bought a SSD and put it in an external case. (Still need to do the transplant surgery on the MBP, but running outboard is reasonably satisfactory in the meantime).

I installed Yosemite on it.

Booted the MacBook Pro from it.

Did a migration to it which took several hours.

Turned on ‘Reduce Transparency’ in System Prefs > Accessibility > Display.

There were a few other little tweaks here and there, but the upgrade was pretty uneventful.

I don’t like the looks of Yosemite, but I’m getting used to it already (mostly).

I had to reinstall all my Macports stuff. If you use Macports I suggest you go through the “proper” OS-Migration procedure and save yourself some trouble.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

You’ll need to turn KM’s Sync Macros OFF on your KM7 or KM6 Macs (or both) until you get up to speed.

Memory management sucks on Yosemite in my opinion. I’ve maxed my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro at 8GB and am fiddling with low memory regularly.

I run BBEdit, Script Debugger, Safari, Mail, Terminal 24/7, and I regularly quit and restart Safari.

Bloody Spotlight is using 1/2 a GB of RAM!!!

I regularly run iCleanMemory to free up stuff.

When I was running Snow Leopard on this machine I would sometimes have over 100 tabs open in Safari — and that was with only 4GB RAM installed.

Even so I’m surviving and am glad to have many of the under-the-hood changes in 10.10.4.

-Chris

1 Like

In specific answer to syncing your macros and upgrading both the OS and KM:

Best bet would be to upgrade everything all at once. Super easy. If you can’t, and if all your machines aren’t necessarily in sync, you’ll need to split out 6 and 7 so you can upgrade sequentially but still have the ability to sync up the most recent macros to each computer running KM6 so you can upgrade at your leisure.

Pick your “master” computer, sync everything up, and then toggle syncing so you can create a new sync file specific to that machine. Upgrade it to 7, and now you’ll have a distinct macro sync file for KM7 and for KM6. As you upgrade each Mac, turn off synchronization (so you don’t accidentally upgrade the v6 sync file), then install KM7, and then re-enable sync using the KM7 sync file.

As for the Yosemite upgrade, I just did a regular in-place upgrade which was flawless. All my Mac Homebrew packages came right over, all my applications worked fine, just seamless. No noticeable performance issues that I’m seeing. I figure @ccstone is running a different set of apps than I am, though, and might be taxing his Mac harder than I do.

1 Like

Do I need to do this even if I am still on KM6 on the Yosemite machine?

No. You only want to turn syncing off if:

• You are running different versions of Keyboard Maestro on different Macs while making any changes to your macros.

So:

• if you are running version 6 on all Macs, that is fine.
  • if you upgrade all Macs to Keyboard Maestro 7 at the same time (ie, without making changes to your macros in between), that’s fine.

If you upgrade one Mac to Keyboard Maestro 7, and leave the other Mac at Keyboard Maestro 6, and leave syncing enabled, and then change your macros, that is where you will get into trouble. Because you have broken the link between the two Macs, so they cannot sync, but make changes to your macros, then one or other will be overwritten when the sync is reconnected when you next match Keyboard Maestro versions.

Keyboard Maestro will warn you about this with the “Live Dangerously” option. Its called “Dangerously” for a reason.

1 Like

My many thanks to all of you guys for taking the time to provide such a detailed description of your experience and suggestions.

I have just completed my upgrade to Yosemite, and to KM7, on the first Mac (my #2 Mac). Both upgrades went really well, and the KM upgrade was the fastest of any app upgrade I have ever seen.

Peter, I did as you suggested, and I have a different folder for KM6 and KM7 sync files in my Dropbox.

I'm going to test it out for a day or two, and if no issues, then I'll upgrade Mac #1.

Thanks again.

OK, I just wanted to say that I am a very happy camper! :sunglasses:
####All of my Macs have been upgraded to Yosemite and KM7 without any issues! :+1:

For anybody in the future going through this upgrade process, I just want to point out one tip that really helped me.
I use Dropbox to sync KM on all of my Macs, and I have DropBox with file version control.
I made a mistake and overwrote the sync file with the wrong Mac.
No problem. I just shut down KM on all Macs, and reverted the sync file using Dropbox ver control to a good version.

Thanks again to all who helped!.

1 Like

Chris,
After an OS Upgrade Spotlight indexes the entire hard drive which take an hour or so. Is it possible this is why Spotlight is using .5 GB of ram? See if it goes down after the machines been on over night.

I upgraded to Yosemite yesterday (late), and right now Spotlight is using only 31.4 MB of RAM.

I've noticed no degradation of performance on my MBP-15R so far.

Hey John,

Don't feel too bad. Spotlight was using about that on my system shortly after I upgraded.

I noticed I was unnecessarily indexing an extra drive and dropped it into the Privacy panel of the Spotlight Prefs.

I also turned off a couple of things in the Search Results section: Calculator, Definition, Fonts, and Bing Web Searches.

Have you rebooted? If not try that.

Recently posted on TidBITS Talk:

The command without the quotes is run in Terminal.app.

Not a bad idea to reboot after running it although not essential — mds will start right back up again.

It's not a bad idea to do a safe-boot — let fsck do it's thing — and I believe a number of system caches are flushed as well (this occurs automatically during a safe-boot).

-Chris

Oh, Spotlight is only using 50.3 MB of real memory at the moment.

-ccs