Best Examples of Keyboard Maestro Macros

Thanks a lot for your help, Tunes!

2 posts were split to a new topic: How to position the KM’s “Icon Chooser: Character” floating window

Wow, what a forum. This all is so ultra nice!

3 Likes

This is my set of macros for moving the cursor around as I type. The * indicates which ones I use the most. These macros save me the trouble of using arrow and modification keys.

*Jump Back One Word jb
*Skip One Word jf
*Jump End Paragraph jp
*Foward Delete Word fd
*Jump Back Three Space jmb
*Delete Space jj
*Jump Down jd
*Jump Beginning of Line jmh
*Delete Word Behind Cursor jk
*Skip Two Words jmf
*Jump Up a Line jmu
All caps previuos word copy jcp
*Lower case last word jlc
All caps previuos word jcp
*Title case last word jtc
Select Line Behind Cursor jsl
Select Word Behind Cursor slw
Add Period ,p
Jump to Beginning of Document jmt
Delete Lin, ddl
Jump Down 3 Line jml
Forward Delete fd
Double Return drr
Jump to End of Line jme
Delete After Cursor jmk
Jump to End of Document jmn
Jump to Beginning Paragraph jmg
Copy Last Word jmc
*Select Text Above Cursor sltx
Select Next Word sltn
*Paste Previous Cut psv

1 Like

But how do you trigger these?

I mean if jb is a trigger what would happen if you were to type a word that contains ‘jb’?

Wow! It is amazing how different each of us is, and what we find painful, and how much trouble we are willing to go to to avoid the pain. :smile:

I'm really glad your system works for you. For me, I have good muscle memory for the Mac standard movement/selections, using modifier keys and arrow keys.

Seems like you might run into conflicts with your system with when you want to actually type the shortcut keys you have defined. But maybe it's very seldom.

Hey JMichael, yeah I just can’t get to the modification and arrow keys without looking down the keyboard. Plus, I like to keep my fingers on the base keys as much as possible.

Occasionally my string triggers conflict with typing a word but not enough to make me change it. I especially like to type of jump back back between words and to the end of a line or paragraph. It happens so quickly.

And like wise it’s so great to hear to read the other ways other KM users are using KM.

Thanks lots for the amounting sharing you do.

Hi Nikivi, the strings rarely show up in a word. I use “jp” all the time, but it doesn’t conflict with other words.

I can send you my macros with you want. Just play around the with the ones you like the most. They’re really useful if you type a lot on your computer.

I do wish there were a quick easy way to disable KM or macros. I can disable TextExpander using a string trigger, so when an abbreviation conflicts with a word, I can quickly disable TextExpander.

If you want to type a string trigger without expansion, type the sequence shift-Space, Delete in the middle of it.

For example: j(shift-Space)(Delete)b

Shift-Space zaps the Typed String keyboard queue.

3 Likes

Thanks, I had read about it before, but it was tricky to pull off. These instructions seem similar.

Wonder if I can create a string trigger to trigger the prevent expansion trigger? :slight_smile:

I’ll these instructions to my articles when referring to string triggers. I don’t have many that conflict with words, but it’s still good to know.

Triggering any macro will zap the key buffer too, so any macro will do. Or, yes, you could have a typed string trigger that triggers and does nothing, and that would do it.

Arrow keys also zap the key buffer, so just typing: j(left arrow)(right arrow)b would work.

1 Like

Yeah, I would love to see the text macros you use. I use some myself, curious what other people use.

Thank you.

Just to provide folks with another option, you can use a character at the start of the string trigger that you are unlikely to ever use with the following characters in typing literally. So, I start all of my string triggers for text expansion with a semicolon (";"). I almost always follow a semicolon with a whitespace when I am using it in a literal context.

So, for example, I would use ";jp" as my trigger.
Yes, it adds another character to type, but I find it very easy to type, and my muscle memory is well established by now. :smile:

Here's my set text editing macros. You might want to disable all them first, and then enable just a few at a time as you learn how to use them.

I haven't really shared these with anyone else, so I would appreciate letting me know how they work for you, and what challenges you encounter.

@Text Macros Macros.kmmacros (1.0 MB)

2 Likes

See also OS X Text System Keybindings.

1 Like

As usual, I am confused. Your instructions state that, if I have a macro that I believe is a Best Example, then I should describe it in a post. I then am supposed to link to the actual macro. Since my macro hasn’t yet been accepted for posting, the link would be to my home computer. Is there a link for macro examples that are awaiting approval?

Also, what macro export format is best for posting: Export Macros or Export as Macros Library

First of all, there is NO approval process. You can add the macro yourself, as stated in the instructions in my OP:

Simply upload your Macro to the Macro Library section of this forum. Anyone can upload macros there. Then add a reply to this topic with a description and a link to the macro you just uploaded.

To upload a macro, see: KM Wiki: How to Post/Upload Your Macro to the Forum

How bout that TextWrangler mentioning? BBEdit :smiley:

Also I think I have seen the most "main stream" discussed topics or individual actions here so far...

Any new thing new "for the gram" haha thanks in advance!

You may want to peruse this topic:

Best Macro List

Lol, sorry, I am just now seeing this reply after all these years.
Anyway, the string triggers I use don't conflict with a word. I’ve never, for example, encountered "jb" in a word, so it works.

I don't use all the triggers listed above, but I would say that I use at least ten of them consistently. I make sure the trigger represents the action. Like "jb" for jump back.