Best Way to Trigger a LaunchBar Action?

I’ve been a long time LaunchBar user and one of my major sore points is LB doesn’t support triggering actions by keyboard shortcuts. I tried to implement this feature myself with KM, but haven’t yet found a good way to do it. So far, I have tried two methods:

1. Assign an abbreviation to an action, then create a KM macro that in sequence invokes LB, types the abbreviation, and clicks the space key. — It works, but there have to be delays between each keystroke, and I find the animations distracting.
  2. Create a single step workflow with Automator.app that triggers an LB action by name, the create a KM macro that runs the workflow. — It also works and is theoretically more direct, but for whatever reason, there is an even longer delay, rendering the result even more time-consuming than manually trigger the action.

Does anyone have experience with this? Specifically, I’d like to trigger the LB action “Safari Tabs” with a keyboard shortcut — I’ve spoiled by the Tree Style Tabs extension for FireFox and tab management in Safari just doesn’t make sense to me.

Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry, I don't have a direct answer for you.
I too am a long time LB user, but I am also a longer time KM user, and I try to use both tools for their strengths.

So, I have to ask, why don't you just implement the action in LB directly in KM?
AFAIK, there is nothing that LB can do that KM cannnot do. The difference is the UI.

If you believe differently, please explain the LB action you want to run.

1 Like

The reason for me to execute KM macros via Lauschbar is that I don't need any shortcuts anymore.
It's easy for me to memorize the terms "naming" of a macro than to work with countless shortcuts.

2019_03_02%20Support%20

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. The major reason is that I’m just getting started with KM and am still learning how to implement features I used to do with LB (I know that I can “steal” LB actions to KM by copying & pasting scripts within LB action packages but don’t have an idea on how to make use of their outputs in KM). Another reason is that I generally find the UI of LB more friendly and pleasing.

If you believe differently, please explain the LB action you want to run.

As I said in my original post, I want to trigger the “Safari Tabs” action with a keyboard shortcut, so that I can (a) have a vertical list of my tabs and (b) navigate the tab list with arrow keys and switch with the enter key. Or do you have an idea of how can this be implemented in KM?

That is a cool LB Action, one that I admit I had not used previously.

While this could somewhat be replicated using KM, I don't think it would be easy to get the nice list display and arrow navigation.

So, if you have not already done this, I'd suggest assigning a LB Abbreviation like "ST" for Safari Tabs. OK, it takes 3 keystrokes, but it goes fast for me.

I'm mostly a Chrome user, but I can't seem to find a "Chrome Tabs" LB Action. Do you know if one exists?

Hey Platy,

You can run LaunchBar actions via AppleScript:

tell application "LaunchBar"
   perform action "Chrome Tabs"
end tell

So you can assign whichever action you want to a script like this one above and run it from a Keyboard Maestro Execute an AppleScript action with a specific keyboard shortcut.

You may also want to see my macro: Safari » Switch Tabs-Windows Using Pick-List.

I have one of these available for Google Chrome too.

-Chris

5 Likes

Hi Chris,

I can't find any "Chrome Tabs" action in LB. Where did you get it from?

Thank you.

It's a custom action.

Go here:

Click the green [Code] button and select “Download Zip”.

You'll get a number of actions in addition to the “Chrome Tabs” one.

1 Like

Thanks very much Chris!

1 Like