I went a step further.. used AppDelete to wipe it out entirely.
With a fresh install, I was able to enter a macro. But when I tried to sync macros with a new clean file in a local directory I get this error
Failed to start syncing macros.
The attempt to start syncing the macros failed (%@)
I been syncing KM for years now, and never a problem.
IAC, you pick a folder to put the sync file in, which KM generates. You don't pick a file.
Just to be sure, I'd pick a folder with no files in it to test the sync.
finally found the issue.. it was stupid antivirus.
Bitdefender for Mac has a "safe files" option. This locks down parts of the disk. I had to add the app back to this whitelist to allow it to write to the kmsync file. ugh.. can't believe I forgot to check antivirus.