Copy as Markdown Link

basically what happens is that the icon pops up as if the maestro editor got turned on. I was wondering if there was a way to not have the dock icon pop up (only menu bar icon). I like to have my dock only use opened windows.

Added a sub-macro for:

• com.lukilabs.lukiapp

to extend the Copy as MD Link macro to work with:

(updated original macro group above, and a copy is also kept on Github)

[RobTrew/copy-as-md-link](https://github.com/RobTrew/copy-as-md-link )

It is also not the case with me. No popping on dock nor opening of KM in dock.

that's odd, it happens to me every single time, is there a setting you have on

No. Didn't change anything for it. It was like this out of the box.

Came across this app today. Havent had the time to check it out yet but it looks interesting.

It's an interesting project – probably worth trying out.

Mileage will vary, but I personally dropped my use of Hook, (after trying it for a while, and making a few contributions to its link scripts), and preferred to use KM because:

• from KM I can get the link I want with a single keystroke, whereas Hook (which generates proprietary urls), still has a UI which I find slightly fiddly.
  • Hook uses a subscription model.
  • Adding a new application-specific sub-macro to KM is very quick, whereas Hook has a slower turnaround time, and fewer built-in tools (KM Actions) to build an app-specific 'Copy as Markdown' from.
4 Likes

I agree that it is an interesting project. However, the most important thing for me is the ability to copy page links from the DEVONthink, which Hook still has not resolved

(Create Hook URLs for a specific PDF page in DEVONthink - #6 by LucB - Share Hookmark automation - Hookmark Forum)

And thanks to you @ComplexPoint I am able to do it with KM. Cheers!

Yeah definitely a single keystroke is much more efficient – and I have also created another Macro that pastes the link to the last active application, which is efficiently possible because KM can wait exactly the till the first macro finished after starting another.

This maybe is easy for you @ComplexPoint as I myself am not an advanced KM user. However, I thought maybe someone reading this could benefit from it.

:smiley: This is rather complicated for me. I looked at the macros for different apps to see whether they all have the same structure. But as far as I could tell they are not.

I would happily watch a walkthrough video of you making one while commenting. If you ever you were to make one. :+1:

I am trying to put a space before the output, which doesnt seem to work.

Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 03.58.05

Correction on the Screenshot : Outside the paranthesis should be "doesn't work"

Hey Orkhan,

We need to see how you're doing your output to figure this out.

-Chris

1 Like

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the input.

MD Link tools Macros.kmmacros (349.3 KB)

This is the Macro group.

In my case "Copy as Markdown link" calls specifically "com.devon-technologies.think3"

a space before the output

Could you show us an example of what you are aiming for ?

Show always works much better than tell : -)

Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 02.32.33

Well, the macro simply places a link in the clipboard.

I wonder if you would get more control by moving the addition of any padding into the paste stage ?

A KM-defined variant of ⌘V (⌘⌥V, etc) which adds flanking space around the clipboard content ?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Found a fix using Insert Text by Pasting:
Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 15.55.27

1 Like

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 3.29.44 PM

@ComplexPoint @OAL

Every time I activate the copy as markdown link, the icon in the dock pops up. are you saying this doesnt happen to any of you? that's why I find it odd that it happens to me.

I'm on Big Sur.

It's possible that that's the difference.

(Catalina here)

Perhaps it rings a bell with @peternlewis ?

Me too.

On the dock icon bounce:

I'm on Big Sur.

I think what may be happening is this particular macro is causing the KM Editor to load if not already open.

Test: I closed down all apps except Finder and the Editor. I invoked the macro on a file in the Finder, no bounce when the dock was hidden or unhidden. I closed down the Editor, invoked the macro and the Editor opened, bouncing on the dock as it did so. Closed the Editor again, tried another macro, and the Editor did not open. Tried this macro, editor opened again.

Thanks Kevin – that would explain why I haven't see it.

( Still cautiously Catalina here)

@peternlewis might this be because the macro searches for and runs sub-macros, except when the front application is either:

• a browser
  • or an application with a simple document window interface ?

(I don't know enough about Big Sur to understand why behaviour in that context might be slightly different, if indeed it is.)