Create hotkey to activate 'insert trigger' within km window

Essentially all km macros need a trigger. I find it very annoying that I have to right click every time on the 'New Trigger' action and then choosing what trigger I want.

I want to a hotkey that I can use that will move my focus to the 'New Trigger' and from there I can arrow down to what trigger I want. In screenshot :

What more, since nearly all my macros are 'hotkey triggers' I would like a quick way to simply press hotkey, add the hotkey trigger that I want for my macro and finish. All from the keyboard.

I hope I am not alone in wanting this. Is there any way I can make that happen? Thank you a lot for any help.

1 Like

Try this:

1 Like

@JMichaelTX -

This is really cool.

I’ve got a question, though. For me, the menu comes up, but then after 5 or 10 seconds, it says it couldn’t find a button with that name, even though it already clicked it.

I know I could just turn off the “notify on failure”, but I was trying to add a Down Arrow and Enter to the macro so it did everything.

I should mention that I’m probably not going to actually use this, but this isn’t the first time this question has come up, and it would be pretty cool to have a good answer. Fully attributed to you, of course. :slight_smile:

3 posts were split to a new topic: How do I reference a variable in an applescript?

And yeah, I think I get what Dan is trying to say. I tried making this :

And it doesn't work for some reason. Perhaps I need to put a pause there.

This works for me, but there is a long pause (for some unknown reason):

You may need to use a UI script to click (press) the green plus:

1 Like

https://wiki.keyboardmaestro.com/manual/Scripting

The answer is there.

Hey Michael,

Thank you for your help.

I think I have an identical macro as you and yet it does not work. It refuses to do the down arrow and return.

@nikivi, I moved the posts by you and @DanThomas to a new Topic, because it is a new subject. Please try to always start new subjects in a new Topic. Thanks.

1 Like

Did you disable these settings:

Yeah, I did. Have two crosses there as well.

What versions of KM and macOS are you running?

I’m running Keyboard Maestro 7.2.1 (7.2.1) on macOS 10.11.4.

A post was merged into an existing topic: How do I reference a variable in an applescript?

MacOS ver 10.11.6 and KM ver. 7.2.1

Here's my macro. Maybe you can try it.

###MACRO: [KM] Press Button to Add Trigger [Example]

[KM] Press Button to Add Trigger [Example].kmmacros (3.1 KB)

Oh wow, I just realised that both mine and yours work but there is a HUGE delay. Like minimum 5 seconds. This is rather unbearable, do you know why that might be and whether one could fix this?

I see the same delay.

Nope. As I stated previously:

For me, issues like this aren't worth the effort to resolve.
This is most likely something that @peternlewis would have to change, or better, give us a shortcut key to add a trigger.

I can just manually arrow down and press RETURN, easy enough.
So, for my use, I remove these Actions:

Yeah, I removed them as well. But since nearly all of my triggers are hotkey based it would be nice to cut down on those two clicks.