"Display text briefly" stopped working (?!)

Hello.
VERY weird. When I try to use the Display Text in Window action, if I choose "display text in a window" it's fine, "display text large" works, but all of a sudden "Display text briefly" doesn't work anymore.
To test it I created a macro, the first action is play sound, 2nd is display text and 3rd is play sound.
in the display text briefly it just plays the 2 sounds but nothing happens in between.
I used this action recently and was fine.
Using a MBP 15" 2019 with macOS Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82). Keyboard Maestro ver 10.2
Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Not so weird :slight_smile:

Display text briefly uses the macOS notification system, which is suspended by macOS Focus if you ask not to be interrupted.

Just allow notifications.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, I didn't know that, but...
Well... still weird... :wink:
All notifications were allowed (as they are now). Unless there is something else there that I didn't think about.

During hours – or in a particular status – defined by Focus, all notifications,
from all applications, can be suspended.

( Nothing to do with KM-specific settings )

See, for example System Settings > Focus Settings

1 Like

Wow!!! You are right.
I have on my iPhone "Personal from 10pm to 8am".
I noticed that there are there filters to define how apps will behave during this time, but it cannot be customized, only 4 pre-defined Apple apps, no option of customizing 3rd party apps...
Thanks a lot for solving the mystery and hope you have a great day! :slightly_smiling_face:
Saul

I noticed the same thing. So now, I have only one Focus during sleep time: Do not disturb. On all devices. I deleted all other Focus settings.

Yes, I had accidentally enabled "Focus" on my MacBook Pro and yesterday I got no alerts on my iPhone so, I missed quite a few calls and messages. I hadn't realised that the setting affects every device. Is this a new thing? If it's not new, I'm surprised it hasn't bitten me before.

You can enable or disable Focus sharing across devices. Don’t think it’s new though, I’ve been using it this way for at least a year.

1 Like

There is a setting to indicate whether or not the Focus state is shared.

1 Like

Thanks - I discovered that last night and unchecked Focus is shared between devices. For me, Do not Disturb is good on an iPhone but not so much on a Mac. I must say that I find the current implementation of overlapping "Focus" and "Do not Disturb" feels quite confusing...

Mon 04Mar. 024 I have just hit this problem. Test macro consists of one action. Display text. Display text large or in a window works fine. Display text briefly appears to do nothing.
I have delete all schedules in FOCUS on both my macbook and my iphone.
Anybody know what is going on?

You have deleted your Focus schedules, but have you verified that DND is not enabled?

If you’re certain neither Focus nor DND is enabled, double check your notification settings. If everything appears to be in order there, and the notification is still not appearing, let us know.

Focus is off
DND is off
Still not working

My old macbook died, and the new one shipped with Sonoma, so I have jumped from Catalina to Sonoma with mixed experiences,....... mostly good,... but have encountered some gotchas like this one...

However, I have now gone to System Preferences > Notifications
and TURNED ON notifications for both Keyboard Maestro and Keyboard Maestro Engine
and
the "display message briefly" now WORKS as expected.

2 Likes

Glad you got it working!

1 Like